Sunday 16th May 2021

The GOACA guide: Ten gifts from museum shops

Fuck snow globe—gifts from museum shops

I love checking out museum shops—I won’t lie, they’re probably my favorite part about visiting museums—and they are excellent resources for unique, unexpected gifts. I am especially taken with this snow globe by artists Nora Ligorano and Marshall Reese.

Minipresso espresso maker—gifts from museum shops

A truly mini, totally portable espresso maker.

Eames house bird—gifts from museum shops

The Eames house bird is such a classic, and would look at home in pretty much any residence.

measuring tapes—gifts from museum shops

I have this measuring tape somewhere—it’s small and handy and a really satisfying shape to hold in your hand.

Yayoi Kusama tea towels—gifts from museum shops

Tea towels from the great Yayoi Kusama.

The US Constitution—gifts from museum shops

Everyone needs a copy of this handy in these tricky times.

Big love ball—gifts from museum shops

I am so tempted by this big ball.

Alexander Girard tote—gifts from museum shops

The logo on this tote was designed by Alexander Girard, who was the director of design for Herman Miller’s textile department for over 20 years.

Louise Bourgeois coasters—gifts from museum shops

These Louise Bourgeois coasters are utterly gorgeous.

Finell drying rack—gifts from museum shops

The coolest drying rack I’ve ever seen (and one I wish I’d known about it when I did this post).

Posted on December 19th, 2017 13 Comments

1. Dana D says:

Heaven help me but that love ball is coming to this house…

but darn, I love the pink as well!

Which one?

As I sit here waiting for the pest control guy (who is a half hour late already) to finally do something about the GIANT RATS now living in my bedroom ceiling for the last TWO WEEKS because the effing HOA (the perfect example of an authoritarian regime) has been too lazy to get something done until I laced an e-mail to the board with the word “lawyer” I have to say the Fuck Snowglobe is looking awesomely appropriate.

I also like the drying rack tremendously.

And I gave that same espresso “machine” to a couple of people last year and they both love it.

• DeDe says:

WHAAAAAT? OMFG that sounds horrible!! get yourself that snowglobe, STAT.

• Viajera says:

I hope the rats have been duly evicted!!! (and I guess have been released somewhere far, far away …)

That all sounds very upsetting, I am *so* sorry.

We are lucky to have experts who will come and deal with such situations.

I once lived in a tiny house and I believe raccoons got into the garage walls, and they sounded so incredibly loud and scary. (I think it was raccoons. Not sure.)

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Oh c.w.!!! That’s horrible! I don’t know how you sleep. They damned well better take care of the problem. I agree with DeDe: Get the Fuck snow globe.

Next time you are in LA, Kim … check out the store of the Japanese American National Museum (store). It’s delightful. (and they have good exhibits too! I am kinda the same way about the stores…)(which reminds me, also the Getty Center store… but you’ve probly been there already)

4. jhops says:

Oh my god, that snow globe! I had no idea that I desperately needed that, until just now.

I’ve wanted an Eames house bird forever! I live in a MCM house and it would go perfectly with my simple decor.

The Louise Bourgeois coasters are beautiful, but my husband would probably break one, then I’d be pissed. So, to avoid an argument…

6. Jen says:

I really, really want that snow globe for my desk at work. I’m a nurse, so it’s probably totally inappropriate for my work environment but it would be so satisfying to look at all day!
    I bought an Eames house bird years ago and it’s still one of my very favorite things. Great gift ideas!

7. Joanne says:

Awaiting my Big Love Ball as we speak! I am so excited. It’s a Canadian movement and I am very proud.

8. Bonnie says:

I also look forward to perusing the unique and creative merchandise at museum gift stores.