Archive for August, 2017
“Who does grey look good on anyway?” my sister in law Shirim asked me this morning, echoing the sentiments of many, and possibly you. For years I too was convinced it was a color that made me look like death, but then I realized that all you need is a nice bold lip to counteract the washing-out effect it can have. Also, I follow the advice of former Sassy fashion editor, Mary Clarke, who once told me that if there’s a color you love that doesn’t exactly suit you, just make certain you’ve got another, more flattering hue closest to your face.
I still haven’t gotten myself a is velvet blazer—I’ve been coveting one for over a year now—and this one is very nearly perfect.
Light grey pants can be unflattering if you’ve got hips—or at least that is the fear—but these are not only excellently cut, they’re satisfyingly dark.
This fine-striped tee would be excellent for layering.
The dog chewed my perfect grey suede Vans (which were limited-edition and no longer available, of course) so I’m thinking of getting these as a substitute.
I love the faded-out look here, and I usually dislike when clothes are pre-faded or distressed.
I looked at a few V-neck sweaters for this post, and this is the one I liked best: nice and roomy and slouchy.
Just a super-cute star tee.
This cardigan has such a great live-in-it-always feel.
And from Kara: this streamlined backpack.
I love the idea of a grey suede boot, and these are pretty much exactly right.
- 25 pieces of art and graphic design that celebrate various cities around the world. (My Modern Met)
- Lipstick destruction videos are a thing and they are oddly satisfying. (Elle)
- There are a lot of reboots, revivals, and spinoffs premiering on TV this fall: here is a guide to them all. (Vulture)
- This couple has visited all 645 of America’s Cracker Barrels. (The Cut)
- Check out these cool playgrounds. (Colossal)
I’ve got four pierces in my left ear and two on my right, and I wear the same earrings every day—eensy gold hoops that I never take out. This, alas, is beginning to bore me, so I’ve been thinking about subbing out the bottom hoops with something a bit prettier or more interesting. This extra-splurgetastic Ted Meuhling pair is so gorgeous, and—for now—just a dream.
I don’t think there are many things sexier than an oversized pair of hoops.
These star studs are from the collection I designed for Iconery, and I must say they turned out pretty cute.
This Ten Thousand Things pair is so pretty and sculptural.
And finally: these are small, but definitely statement-making.
- These adult movie posters from the 60s and 70s are almost quaint by today’s standards. (But not so quaint that they aren’t NSFW.) (Dangerous Minds)
- Here’s how you can help hurricane Harvey victims. And thanks to those of you who reached out to see how my relatives and loved ones in Houston are faring. They’re all fine, but damp. Hope my Houston readers are doing OK too. (The Cut)
- A whopping 67 movies coming out this fall. (Vulture)
- This Whitney Houston documentary sounds rather heartbreaking. (Flavorwire)
- This story, in which several women discuss how tattoos have helped them with their body image, is interesting. (Refinery 29)
Like it or not, fall is inching ever-closer—last night was practically sweater weather out here in Sag Harbor—so I’m going to show what feels like seasonally appropriate clothing starting now. Most of the pants here, like this excellent cropped, frayed-hem pair, are good for the kind of tricky transitional dressing we’ll all be doing for a little while now.
On the other hand, these cords are perfect for when it really starts being crisp out.
I love the look of wide trousers, and these have side pleats, which is kind of cool.
This is a very intriguing silhouette—wide and cropped.
A pair of grey trousers just seems like a good idea, and I like that the pleats aren’t too deep here.
These are a good army green, and they’re nicely priced too.
I love how menswear-ish these are, and am deeply tempted to buy them.
Another pair of full trousers, which I think I’m just about ready to wear again.
I am a big proponent of wearing white year-round, which is why I’m digging this pair.
Denim trousers are not only chic, but office-worthy as well.
- Czech photographer David Tesinsky has spent a decade shooting various subcultures around the world, and the results are intense. (My Modern Met)
- If you’re having a harried morning, perhaps this footage of over 30 hummingbirds frolicking in a birdbath will bring things down a notch. (Colossal)
- These paintings of produce are rather sweet. (Flavorwire)
- 25 notable women on self-expression. (The Cut)
- And finally, I love the look of this funky old Missouri motel. (Atlas Obscura)