Friday 18th June 2021

Taking requests: Raincoats

A reader who goes by the online name of sheepy puppy requested a post on raincoats with hoods, and it’s certainly the season for it: it’s either stunningly bright and gorgeous in New York right now or pouring buckets. My absolute favorite raincoats at the moment are from Stutterheim, and they’re not cheap but they are stylish and ultra-durable and long, which counts for a lot in a deluge. Here is my absolute favorite, and it was very hard to narrow it down.

And here is a more classic model from Stutterheim, also slightly less pricey than the one above.

A delightful raincoat-yellow version from Barbour, with a cool striped lining. Also: it’s on sale.

Nothing better than a classic trench for your plus -size choice.

This one has a duckbill hood, which is really cute, and I always like army green.

Bold red seems fun and spring-y.

Posted on May 25th, 2017 14 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I snagged a classic grey Stutterheim at a Barneys sale a while back. Mine is simple with no hood. Love the quality.

On the topic of sales, Barneys Warehouse sales are the best. Just yesterday I scored a Maria Cornejo 700.00 sweater for 120.00. Almost too good to be true.

I was mad at Barneys for a while. Racist practices. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I let their sales lure me back. Anyone know anything about the company now?

Rain!!! You-all are so lucky.

3. joannawnyc says:

Perfect timing! I have an appointment in Brooklyn today and am longing for a raincoat with a hood.

4. Lesa says:

Great post. I’m constantly amazed by the number of raincoats without hoods (including one or two in my own closet — what was I thinking?)

5. Erin O says:

This one from French Connection is really cute – https://tinyurl.com/mk9wxgs

6. Debra K says:

I live in LA so not so much for the raincoats, but those Zara pants with the buttons down the side are adorable!!! ❤️

7. S says:

Kim- a tip for plus sized after a lifetime of lessons learned, double breasted is usually not flattering- especially for fuller busted ladies. The exact same raincoat with a single row of buttons would be a million times more flattering.

• Kate says:

Truth! I’m a fuller busted 12/14 petite and I just bought a new trench coat with a single row of buttons. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a hood. There’s a chance that the hoodie wouldn’t have been sized for a petite and it would have covered half of my face.

• KimFrance says:

Thanks for the tip, S. I’m just beginning to include plus-size stuff here so there’s going to be a bit of a learning curve and I encourage your input.

8. Ali says:

Although not quite as stylish as the Stutterheim raincoats, I really like the raincoats by Seasalt Cornwall. My husband has an unlined Stutterheim jacket but he barely ever wears it because he finds it very hot and sweaty, because it is made of rubber.

• Debra says:

I second the hot and sweaty. It is very difficult to find raincoats that work for their intended purpose that also allow the body to breath. So many really good coated-cotton coats are lined with polyester or some variation thereof. I’ve made a study of trying to find cute raincoats that aren’t like a sauna in summer and have had very little luck.

• Debra says:

Oh, Ali, after I wrote the comment above I checked out Seasalt Cornwall. Girrrrl. You nailed it! Just what I’ve been searching for. I cannot thank you enough!

9. Kyla says:

I love Boden for Macs and second Seasalt Cornwall as well, the drippy English weather is perfect for the drippy Seattle weather. They are bright, interesting and well-made

10. Jacq says:

Can I suggest an Aussie alternative – http://www.pipduck.com.au/product-category/raincoats/

Stylish, both a hood and a collar, and single breasted for booby gals like me (plus can accommodate hips and a butt!)