Sunday 16th May 2021

Excellent new reading glasses alert

Look Optic reading glasses

I had lunch with an old friend, the author Jancee Dunn, who just published the hilarious and smart How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids. We knew each other from the music scene—we both profiled bands, me mostly for Spin, her for Rolling Stone—and it had been a good two decades since we’d last seen each other. And we laughed as the first thing we both did when we sat down to read the menu was pull out our reading glasses. Such is the life of the gracefully aging former rock chick. I don’t mind the addition of reading glasses to my life—I think I look kind of cute in them, truth be told—but I’m frustrated that there aren’t more reliable, reasonably-priced resources for them, because I’m forever losing or destroying them and refuse to go for an expensive version. So I was encouraged to hear about Look Optic, a new company that is billing itself as the Warby Parker of reading glasses. They’re $68 a pop, which isn’t bad at all, given the quality, which I’m pleased to report is quite good. At the moment, they come in three styles. I got the Sullivan, for a vaguely Sexy Librarian look.

Posted on April 11th, 2017 10 Comments

1. Caroline says:

Good to know! I’ve been wearing drug store readers..not so cute.
    I’m now officially the dotty lady with sunglasses on my head and reading glasses hanging on my shirt😂

2. MB says:

All of the Warby Parker frames also come as reading glasses, and you don’t need a prescription. They are a little bit more expensive than the above, but you can return them if you don’t like them, just like everything else on the site. For those in NYC, I also like Ricky’s for reading glasses. They often have a better selection than the average drug store.

3. jpete says:

icu makes fun, colorful reading glasses for about $25 a pair. The company is dedicated to providing an environmentally responsible product. I buy them at Whole Foods.

4. kh says:

A.J. Morgan is also great for affordable and stylish reading glasses. They’re available at most Ricky’s stores and in a wider variety online. https://www.ajmorganeyewear.com/reading-glasses/

5. Joan says:

I am glad to not be alone in my quest for cute reading glasses. I am currently searching because all of my current ones are very scratched.
    Also, I lost a pair in my office yesterday, something that I am doing more and more. So, in that context I need a post on cute eyeglass chains because I can’t wear “croakers” in the office

6. Darcy H says:

You’re so right. Cute reading glasses are important. I’ve had plenty of luck with ones at Pharmaca and also the neighborhood day spa (much less $$ than the Look Optic price). They’re kind of everywhere, at least on the west coast so this post sort-of surprises me.

7. ren says:

readers.com has a good selection of classic hornrim styles at excellent prices. they also often have sales and coupons. i have a pair in pretty much every room in the house. most styles are pretty sturdy, but i have had a few that didn’t fare as well.

8. Patty says:

Thanks for the tip on the glasses. I buy all mine on sale at Anthropologie. They’re actually very cool, but I’m happy to know that these are made of glass and the sides are spring-loaded. I always leave this blog with an inspiring idea.

9. Amy in StL says:

Debspecs.com They have cheap ones, cute ones, more expensive, less expensive… they run the gamut. I always peruse their sale bins for the Optical Quality ones, because I really do find that better quality ones allow me to use a lower prescription number due to optical quality lenses.

10. Raina says:

EyeBobs has some great ones. They recently did a collection with Iris Apfel. A couple pairs are still left, on markdown.