Archive for February, 2017
- These German lobby cards from films of the 1960s are kind of a kick. (Dangerous Minds)
- A comprehensive guide to which of this year’s Oscar nominees appeared on Law & Order. (Vulture)
- Unspeakable. (Elle)
- This footage of Cate Blanchett lip synching “You Don’t Own Me” at a drag show is kind of fun. (Time)
- All the sex scenes on Girls, ranked. (Slate)
I’ve started working on the book, and am currently writing about going to rehab, which I’ve done, twice. It was a life-transforming experience for me—even more so for having to repeat it—and writing about it got me wondering how many of you out there in the GOACA community have struggled with addiction too. My issue was with alcohol, although I’ve smoked my weight in pot over the years as well. What was your demon, and how did you kick it? I’m also curious: Are you in AA or NA, or have you sought alternative support?
Polka dots are tricky. They can look wacky, which I loathe. But they can be nice when played a little off-kilter, as they are on this lovely tie-front blouse from Tucker.
The dots on these trousers are nice and subtle, as dots on trousers should be.
This wallet from Comme Des Garcons, on the other hand, is just pure loud fun.
- These posters highlight notable women in science. (Mental Floss)
- This is tough to listen to, but so important: three women who had illegal abortions before 1973’s Roe V. Wade decision, and a woman who worked in a Brooklyn hospital in that era talk about their experiences. (Kottke)
- Teen suicide attempts in the U.S. dropped as same-sex marriage was legalized. (The Science of Us)
- It’s the season six trailer for Veep. (Flavorwire)
- Here’s a fun rabbit hole to fall down: the New York Public Library’s archive of historical restaurant menus. (NYPL)
Some items in this rundown are well under $150, like this excellent cotton shirt, for example.
A quite chic, very nicely slouchy tuxedo jacket.
These trousers come in a lot of different colors, and have a very hip-friendly fit.
Everlane’s cashmere v neck is rather luxe for the price.
You can’t beat classic Ray Ban aviators.
I like the beat-up black wash on this denim jacket.
My favorite tee of the moment, from J. Crew, is tissue-thin, and best sized-up.
OK, I’m cheating a little here, because this chelsea boot rings in at $155, but it’s still a remarkably good buy.
A classic black dress, with a sexy low back.
Just a good solid tote, nice and minimal, with the all-important cross-body strap.
A cute denim skirt, flatteringly A-line.
A striped tee, with a an also-quite-flattering boatneck.
Everbody needs a trench coat, and this is as solid a specimen as any.
I like the menswearish stylings of this chambray shirt.
A cool pump with a very walkable heel.
- These nighttime photos of China are rather arresting. (Flavorwire)
- It’s quiz time! Can you name the first word of each song title? (Mental Floss)
- HBO will air David Bowie: The Last Five Years, a BBC documentary that includes unprecedented access to Bowie’s closest friends, and archival footage. (A.V. Club)
- These war memorials of the former Yugoslavia really something. (Dangerous Minds)
- Genius. (Time)