Friday 18th June 2021

The dog ate my linens

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 1.20.36 PM

The new dog likes to chew things: rubber bones, magazines, and— most vexingly—bedding: on one memorable recent occasion, he ripped an entire set, duvet cover included, to shreds.  These were not-inexpensive sheets, and I am in no hurry to replace them with another pricey set. My friend Stephen suggested I check out Brooklinen, a newish site that offers quality bedding at astonishingly good prices. And I’m really quite happy with my purchase: grey (good for camouflaging paw prints)  in nice, crisp percale.

Posted on May 19th, 2016 20 Comments

1. Trisha says:

Feel you pain! My cats shred my furniture! Also not inexpensive. Thx for the new resource for bedding. I find myself washing my bedding at least 2 times per week as I heat up at night……someone told me SOMA intimates makes pajamas that are cooling. Have you heard of/tried?

2. Margaret says:

For anyone else who wants grey cotton percale, but doesn’t have that kind of cash, not even joking here: Target. Picked them up last week and the quality is fantastic.

• ALA says:

I second this! Target percale sheets are crisp and cool, perfect for hot summer nights. At a third of the price.

• Colleen says:

I third this. I have an Aussie, and while she is my puppy love, she is also a bed linen ANNIHILATOR!!! Muddy paw prints and claw slashes galore. I have been through at least three complete sets of bedding from Target, and I’ve really liked them all. I go with cotton coverlets, because even King size fits in my washer. Just another reason I really love Target.

• kates says:

I loveTarget sheet, especially the Threshold line. Good cotton quality and the bottom sheet fit is great.

• Mockingbird says:

Fifthing Target sheets. My rabbit’s full name is Lady Sarah Jane deBun, the Dowager Duchess of Destruction, and she has earned that title. Anger her and she destroys things you love (three laptop chargers in a year, and she knows which is the expensive part to replace). I especially like that Target sells sheets separately, so I don’t have to buy a whole new set when a fitted sheet she chewed on tears. Sarah’s 10 now, and has arthritis, and I joke with the vet that the acupuncture she’s getting has worked too well, because she went from having trouble getting into the litterbox to being able to jump up and destroy the bedlinens again. Having house rabbits has benefitted my housekeeping- any clothes left out will be chewed on, ditto shoes left lying around, and it’s harder to destroy sheets if the bed is made. They’re a lot of work, but in 17 years of having rabbits, it never fails to make me smile when I see a rabbit hopping through my living room.

3. Kristen says:

Ugh. My dog did this at my in laws house. She was sick for a week afterwards. I eventually discovered she had ingested a sizable section of the fitted sheet including elastic in what was definitely the most traumatic event of my life thus far. The vet called her a “garbage gut.” This is accurate.

4. Teresa says:

When my dog was a puppy, he ate everything, including a $400 pair of glasses. I’ve bought Warby Parkers ever since. Thankfully, this phase has passed and he leaves my stuff alone. Hang in there!

5. Dallas says:

I have two terrier mixes, and I’ve come to accept that I will never have a nice bedspread!

6. Cara says:

Another owner of a puppy who eats stuff. He nibbles on everything- shoes, carpets etc. Ignores the nyla bones. He then gets sick, throws up and has diarrhea all over the house. Luckily, I am besotted by the little rascal (dachshund/terrier mix). Buy Clorox wet wipes at Costco.

Chewing fabric (or anything else) is most often (in my experience) a sign of anxiety. If your dog is chewing on things when you leave the dogs alone you might try giving him chewable anxiety herbal supplements such as Calms. Or a Thundershirt. Or the pheromone spray. Or wrap his bed in a t-shirt you’ve slept in. Or crate him. Or––last resort––Xanax. If you catch your pup in the act shake a glass jar with some coins in it and say “no” in your deepest voice. Hope some of that helps.

I’ve had good luck with sheets from West Elm (the organic ones) and Ikea (the high count cotton ones).

8. Sisty says:

Get a crate — you won’t regret it. And it’s only temporary, and only when you can’t be right on top of him, watching him.

9. Sara says:

Call me crazy but I recently bought Brooklinen sheets too, and am a little disappointed. The percale is crisp, but the fabric is so very thin. Feel like I could have bought some for half the price (mine were 120, I believe), and been just as happy.

Hang in there with the chewing! My dog loves books, underwear and headphones. It does get better but they do try your patience, don’t they?

10. jhops says:

My mom has a dog affectionately nicknamed “Prada Breath” for going through a similar puppy phase. Stay strong!

11. Cecilia says:

My dog had the same unfortunate habit. He would shred EVERYTHING. Then I saw a segment on Caesar Milan where he said it’s not only a sign of anxiety, but it can also be a sign of him missing potassium in his diet. He said to feed your dog bananas because there’s never enough Vitamin K in dog food. I started doing that and no joke – my dog completely stopped chewing. It seemed like a Christmas miracle. Good luck to you.

12. suz says:

Oh – I feel your pain. This is how I got new drapes – dog redecorating. I have found ikea cotton sheets hold up very well to compulsive dog scratching for whatever reason . They are soft after a few washes but sturdy enough to not shred. Crisp and hefty cotton

• suz says:

And its a new/puppy thing. They definitely grow out of it. After the new drapes – not a nibble.

Hang in there!

13. Hick from Styx says:

Ah, yes, Caesar and the bananas. All fine until your dog develops bladder stones from the bananas, and your problem becomes less about the stuff they chew and more about your vet’s large and growing bank account.

14. Heather says:

Agreed about Target – have some sateen organic cotton sheets from them that I LOVE. I think I paid about $50-60 for the set (I have a Full, which can be hard to find). Have also found great stuff at Home Goods.