Tuesday 21st September 2021

Dogwares

farmhouse pottery

My Schnoodle Sammy has a charming habit of letting me know he is hungry by knocking over his (not very sturdy) water bowl with his little paw. The other pooch, the new guy, has been, since his arrival in the household, eating out of a Heath Ceramics bowl that I am quite fond of, and would like to put back into human rotation. All around, the imperative for new canine servingware has felt pressing.  And so the other day, when I found myself (rather randomly) scrolling through the Orvis site and saw this stoneware dog bowl, I decided I had to spring for a few—one for each dog and one for water. Sammy will have a hard time capsizing one of these. And I am not lying when I say that they are better-looking than most of my dishes.

Posted on March 18th, 2016 17 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Seriously, this is from Orvis?! They have really upped their accessories/housewares game.

That said, I feel you on this. We’re moving to a new place with a dishwasher in a month, so our cats (I know, I know) will need bowls that can stand up to that sort of thing. And everything I am finding is either twee, twee-er or twee-est, if it’s not straight-up fugly. Cats may be internet cool, but their stuff majorly sucks. If those bowls come in a small size, I might just get a few myself.

2. y.k. says:

that must be really cute to see sammy do that.

3. Colleen says:

Reppin’ for the pups! And this is why I love your blog 🙂

4. Maggie says:

You know that handsy thing is the poodle in him!

5. AKS says:

Hi, crazy dog lady here! Just chiming in to recommend that you verify that the stoneware is marked “food safe” or “lead free glaze” — and stays completely free of cracks or chips that could harbor bacteria. It’s not nearly as stylish, but I’ve read that stainless steel is a lot more durable and less susceptible to harmful bacteria. [steps off soapbox]

• DelawareDeb says:

My vet told me to use stainless steel bowls, because they could be sanitized more successfully.

They certainly were not as attractive as any of the ceramic bowls shown today, though. The Heath bowl is a beautiful shade of blue.

• Viajera says:

Thus far, I prefer to admire animals from afar. However, it seems one could, in theory, have the best of both by using a stainless bowl as a liner. Mind you, I do not know how pets might react to this. We’d need to do a focus group!

• kaf says:

My dog will eat a days old dead fish on a beach, cat poop from a litter box, and baby throw up – why do I need to worry about sanitizing her water bowl, exactly?

6. Julie says:

I just can’t see myself spending $89 for a small ceramic dog dish, though it is quite fetching (pardon the pun). Hey–that’s a pair of shoes. I have certain priorities.

7. DeDe says:

What human roles will be available for said focus group? Because I’m going to need to be a part of this. Especially if there are pugs or frenchies involved.

8. DeDe says:

Whoops! That was supposed to be a reply to Viajera, obvs.

9. Raina says:

That’s a fine-looking bowl. I might just order one to use a serving piece. For humans.

10. Julie says:

You are going to take your (cheaper) bowl back from your puppy, and buy both puppies admittedly equally attractive, but much more expensive, bowls? Must unsubscribe.