Archive for July, 2015
- So many fantastic pictures of a young Mick, all in one place. (Please Kill Me)
- Some really quite memorable epitaths. (Mental Floss)
- This footage of Jimmy Kimmel going off on the whole Cecil the Lion tragedy is pretty great. (youTube)
- As is this, but differently. (Flavorwire)
- And finally, because Oh, why not: state-by-state demographic maps of the most commonly-employed swear words. NSFW-ish. (Kottke)
Recently, I tried to learn how. Every morning for a number of weeks I would give it my best, and every morning, I just wound up just feeling kind of distracted and sleepy, which is not the point at all. Somebody suggested I sit in a hard chair, and still I just nodded off. Then that same person suggested I buy an adult coloring book (I know, I know) so I ordered this one—it’s all patterns, perfect for me—along with some colored pencils. And damned if coloring in that adult coloring book doesn’t smooth my thoughts right on out.
I feel like I’m opening myself up for ridicule on this one, so please be dear and open yourself up to me too: how do you meditate? How often do you do it? And: does it ever get easier?
So clever of jewelry designer Monica Vinader to put an individual spin on each letter in her new alphabet series. So many possibilities, all of them adorable.
Of course I am absolutely dying for this one from Mara Hoffman.
- These photographs of Dutch birthday celebrations are pretty great. (Slate)
- Funny. (Time)
- The grammar fascist in me loves this helpful video on the correct usage of the—all too frequently erroneously deployed—apostrophe. (Laughing Squid)
- Is your favorite movie on this list of the top ten most beautiful movies of all time? (Kottke)
- A slightly morbid but altogether fascinating rundown of how various cultures bury their dead. (Atlas Obscura)
And while we’re it it, here’s an added extra cheap and chic: I met a woman earlier in the summer named Liz, and she had the most dead-on tomboy style, and wore these canvas sneakers from Seavees, a brand of which I had never heard. Of course I copied her. They’re insanely comfortable, and I don’t feel like I’m clomping around in them, as I have in the past with other slide sneakers.