Sunday 16th May 2021

How to: Summer black

pretty model

I love the way head-to-toe black looks in summer—equal parts laid back and pulled together and just a tiny bit badass, too. Very New York chick. And aside from the part where she’s got her shirt unbuttoned past her bra, I feel Erin Wasson’s outfit here is a great object lesson in how to make the look work: keep things simple, pay attention to proportion, wear a clunky-ass platform, and even those of us who aren’t skinnypants, tously-haired models can to pull it off.

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 1.10.07 PM

This oversized stand collar shirt is a softer alternative to a more traditional button-down, and it keeps things on the breezy side. You must tuck it in, even if you just do that tucked-in-front-and-not-in-back thing.

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 1.08.41 PM

Erin is wearing super-skinny pants, something I no longer do: you can execute a perfectly credible version of this look with a more forgiving boy-cut skinny pair like this. (Yes, these are crazy stupid expensive R-13s; the market is annoyingly slim for good slouchy skinnies in black. This Frame Denim pair is still on the high side but not quite so bad; J Crew’s Matchstick cut is always a solid choice—size up one for more of a slouchy effect; or if you’re in the mood for a higher waist you might try these.)

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 1.33.58 PM

These platforms look perilously high, but they’re good old Kork Ease, which means they won’t be torture to walk in.

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 2.02.34 PM

Just a basic webbed Boy Scout-style belt, simple as you please.

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 2.21.05 PM

A quick hit of gold against bare skin is so sexy.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on July 1st, 2014 21 Comments

1. Love it. Those Kork-Ease are perfect. The platform sandals could certainly be subbed by a pair of black leather flat sandals like the ones from Everlane to keep the same vibe. I also wish Steven Alan had made that blouse in linen instead.

• Andrea says:

I agree that the platforms are divine, but I tried them and the fit was all wrong (and my feet are standard issue). Plus, they are quite high, almost costume-y. Buy them brick and mortar so you can try them on first!

2. Sarah says:

Hmm. But the shirt is actually navy, not black. Close enough? Kim, how do you feel about the timeless question of whether navy and black can be combined?

Also, I love that the high-waisted jeans are “Slim Mom Jeans.”

3. Lisa says:

If I lived in Manhattan again I’d totally wear black shifts and sandals in the summertime. With 3/4 quarters sleeves and a Henley neckline. And gold.

4. caroline says:

Go for it! I don’t live in n.y anymore which is why I think I must do it!
    Its nice to feel a little bad as now and again…
    I think it slows the aging process! Plus looking cheery and well adjusted all the time us a bit of a snooze.

5. Kristen says:

Love the Kork-Ease, I don’t know how long one could hoof it around town in them though. I found these Charles David “Francis” low wedges and fell in love with them for their comfort alone. http://bit.ly/1m64Ffx

How does one not burn to a crisp wearing all black in the summer sun I am still wondering.

• Lisa says:

Thanks for that link…I love those. I also love black clothing, but all black in heat and humidity, hell no. That entire outfit would be great in all white (for July and August).

• Kristen says:

You are so welcome, Lisa! Ouch, humidity as well as heat, black is not for you in summer. I’m wondering if linen would work though.

6. joannawnyc says:

I am wearing all black right now on a hot/humid day in NYC–black linen trousers from the Gap, a James Perse tee, and flat black Prada sandals.

On days like today I try to stick to the shade when I’m outside, and public transit and most offices and shops are so heavily air-conditioned that you need to bring a sweater. So all-black doesn’t necessarily mean you are hotter.

All-white can be psychologically cooling, certainly, but the end of a day in the city often means your outfit shows traces of every grimy surface you’ve encountered along the way 😉

7. SC says:

Why no skinny jeans? I feel like they look good on every age. No?

• Grenadine says:

I too would be curious to know why no skinny jeans….I have always thought they are one of the more flattering cuts on most women.

8. Grenadine says:

ADORE that pendant necklace in rose gold. LOVE IT. Too bad it’s $420 – I have too many other wardrobe priorities right now otherwise I might splurge.

9. Rash says:

I’m just impressed with how she can walk in platforms on cobblestones. I’ve damaged my ego more than once that way.

10. angie says:

badass but not cool. yesterday i wore a black swingy dress with no show socks and black oxfords. badass and cool.

11. angie says:

it was in 97 and humid here yesterday. no tight black jeans. please.

Hold the phone — people aren’t getting into real high-waist denim, are they? They seem so uncomfortable to me. And since they rarely look good, what’s the point?

13. Annie says:

Old Navy Rock Star jeans are surprisingly good. Very flattering.

Erin Wasson is WAY too cool for me! Maybe make it “mom jeans” by NYDJ and lower clog platforms by Swedish Hasbeens, and I could own it.