Monday 17th February 2020

Friday links

Virginia May Salisbury

Posted on June 22nd, 2018 8 Comments

1. Dana D says:

Thank you for today’s links!

The list of nine books–searching for them now.

Older ladies of instagram…inspiration for us all! So nice to have models for how not to become dowdy…

2. DeDe says:

You are killing it with the links lately, Kim. I know they’re time-consuming for you, but seriously – they’re helping me get through this fucking awful week, and I can’t be the only one. Thanks so much for providing the perfect mix of thought-provoking, funny, poignant, and just spot-on for those of us who are not simply content to have (or attempt to have) bitchin’ style. We’re all a lot more than that. A hell of a lot more.

3. Mary Alice says:

I loved that story about the older ladies of Instagram – I follow several of them. But I am cranky about the headline – must every women over 50 be described as a grandma? Our entire being reduced to our reproductive history?

4. Patty says:

Love this site.
    I wish could move away from descriptions of people that assume a standard. When we write about “older” people, what does that mean? Older than the writer? Older than the readers? Why do we assume any age? Older is a relative term and as such, doesn’t help increase anyone’s understanding about who is being written about. It’s like writing “blonder,” or “shorter.”
    Also agree with the comments about “grandma.”
    As to what to say instead? If it really is newsworthy that women of a certain age wear fashionable cloths, I would be descriptive without interpretation. Bloggers in their fifth decade and beyond. Or something like that.

5. Maggie says:

I saw this crazy Tumbler of David Bowie outfits matching the sea creatures Nudibranchia and thought of GOACA. I can’t believe how spot on they are:

6. Holly says:

I love the older ladies of Instagram – they are all so stunning! Photographing the children with their toys is such a n interesting idea and I found it so fascinating to scroll through them, thanks so much for sharing!

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo