Wednesday 8th February 2023

What are you looking at?

body battleground

What are you feeling visually stimulated by these days? I’m loving Signs of Resistance: A Visual History of Protest in America, a book by my friend the genius graphic designer Bonnie Siegler (she has created logos for SNL and about a million other shows, and co-designed the original Lucky). Her eye for protest in pop culture is super-sharp, and there is so much here, including this now-iconic piece by Barbara Kruger.

women are not

I would totally hang this 1975 poster in my home.

sisterhood

And I’m quite fond of this one too. Now what about you? I very much want to know what’s got you inspired.

Posted on February 27th, 2018 13 Comments

1. Debra says:

Sunflowers.

I was inspired by the postings yesterday of what your readers are doing. Reading all the plans and actions of women all over the country made me want to do something bucket-list-ish for myself.

I’ve also been inspired by how articulate and determined the young survivors are of the Parkland shooting. They give me hope.

3. Joan says:

Hi, I do hope you are feeling better. My bout with the flu lasted a month before I actually felt my normal self.
    Is there a site where the last 2 posters are for sale? They remind me so much of the decor of my dorm room along with my Peter Max posters.

4. Lynn in Tucson says:

Explorers’ Sketchbooks. It’s a little heavy for bedtime reading but it’s amazing.

5. Heather says:

Doris Ulmann’s work: https://oregondigital.org/sets/doris-ulmann

I’ve started a new research project on her portraits from the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC, from the early 1930s. I recently learned that my paternal grandparents met when both were students at the Campbell School, so there’s both a personal and a scholarly interest. As I’m looking through various archives I’m finding subjects with my (unusual) last name.

6. Carrie says:

Marcus Aurelius… the great ancient stoic philosopher. Good stuff for sure. Printed myself a nifty little booklet containing over 500 quotes that I am challenging myself to memorize and meditate to as I inch towards a milestone birthday.

7. Maggie says:

I am a little obsessed with The Vermont Country Store’s candies and packaging, and somewhat disturbed by how much I love their tiered muumuus:

• Heather says:

Those muumuus are indeed kind of awesome.

• I have the sleeveless ones and they are genius. They wash up softly (100% cotton) and make great beach cover-ups.

I think with the right accessories (denim jacket, cool jewelry), they even look—dare I say—pretty cute.

(I could also be living a lie and just look like I’ve given up. )

8. KH says:

We have been showing free screenings of the film “Equal Means Equal” throughout our state. It has really solidified in my mind why I do the work I do and why I can never give up.

I stopped going to the grocery store. I have my weekly groceries delivered and a couple of meal kits every week. It’s liberating. I’m actually spending a lot less on groceries and eating out because it’s easy to make a meal and I don’t have to worry if I have everything I need for that meal. I’m also not randomly buying things that intrigue me or “inspire” me to make something complicated and expensive that no one will eat.

On the fun side I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at shoes. I want a new pair of ballet flats for my very wide feet. Oh! And the Japanese and Korean skincare forums on Reddit are a joy.

I’m constantly redecorating our home in my head. And I’m very attracted to the Scandinavian aesthetic, including hygge, being Norwegian, pickled herring and all of that, so it’s Scandinavian decor books and Pinterest images.

• c.w. says:

Do you follow Design Sponge? Two young women showing before and afters of homes all over the world plus much more. Definitely one of those rabbit holes you can fall into, but so satisfying those of us who are constantly redecorating in our heads!