Saturday 31st October 2020

GOACA home basics: Table and floor lamps

sidnie lamp

Technically, this is a Taking Requests, because a number of you have written in asking for a post on lamps. And I’ve been meaning to get around to it, too, but am pretty certain I was avoiding it, because I am picky, picky when it comes to lighting, and feared I wouldn’t find much to clear the bar.  But in the end I did find a number of pretty good specimens, like this blue domed number from Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co.

cb2 lamp

I like this dome lamp too, and it’s a better buy than the blue one.

mini task lamp

Here is the classic Task lamp, which works on just about any desk. Here is another variation I like, and here’s a cute, bright one from Paul Smith.

target task lamp

Here’s something Task lamp-ish that rings in under $25.

grasshopper table lamp

And then there’s this graceful iteration.

cigar lamp

This George Nelson Cigar lamp is another classic (sorry, but this is a category I don’t take a lot of risks in). When I lived in a brownstone, I had the cigar shape hanging from the ceiling and it was divine.

arco lamp

You really have to see the Arco floor lamp in action in people’s homes to see how genius it is (happily, you can do so here). It is something I would buy if I could buy anything I wanted, but for now I will content myself with considering this cheaper version, as well as this also cheaper version.

west elm floor lamp

More retroish than I usually go, but I like it.

nelson lamp

The George Nelson Pear Lamp is like the cigar above, but maybe a little more graceful.

globe floor lamp

A Globe lamp is nicely unobtrusive, and this one is a lot more well-priced than others I’ve seen.

studio floor lamp

This is kind of  1970s teenager’s bedroom, in the best possible way. Here is a cheaper option that is kind of different, but reminds me of it somehow.

tripod floor lamp

I don’t just inevitably love a tripod lamp—they can be clunky— but this one is quite appealing, with its skinny legs and excellent blue shade.

Catch up on my post covering items for the home office.

Posted on February 23rd, 2018 11 Comments

1. Maia says:

the Pablo Pixo Needs To Be On the LIST!! Two light settings, super adjustable, a USB port for charging the kindle, and many color options!

Perfect timing as I need to replace two task lamps by next weekend (houseguests coming) that were recalled by West Elm and THANK YOU for posting lamps without shades (lampshades––one of my absurd dislikes which is probably a years worth of therapy to figure out why).

We do have the arc lamp and it is beyond cool, but the marble base is so heavy (for obvious reasons) that you practically need an army of weight lifters to move it which is why it’s still in Austin in my tiny condo (where it definitely looks out of place) and not on the East Coast in our real house. We also have a George Nelson hanging light and I LOVE it. So worth the price.

3. Jen says:

Pretty lamps, Kim! BUT– I can see you do not have my issues with the need for a warm (gold-toned) light source. Most of these look like they’d cast a pretty harsh white glow.

• joannawnyc says:

Doesn’t that depend on the bulb?

• Lorange says:

In my experience, it depends on more than the bulb. Lamps with shades or like the glass globe lamp above would cast a softer, more diffuse light than any of the metal-shaded ones.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for floor lamps for a while now and the ones I like the look of all have metal shades, but I know from the metal-shaded light fixtures in my house that they just won’t provide the cozy glow I’m looking for.

4. Leslie Cryan says:

You say “picky picky” like it’s a bad thing! I’m pretty sure that is why we are here. Hmmm. But now I hate all my lamps. And the tone of light? It’s all about the bulb, not the shade.

5. joannawnyc says:

Nice picks!

6. jhops says:

I’ve had the blue task-ish lamp from Target on my bedside table for a while now. I can confirm that it is lovely, and the color makes me smile.

I’m lamp crazy! I’m into anything MCM so I love most of your choices, although I’m probably the only person in the world that isn’t crazy about the Arco floor lamp. I find them incredibly awkward to place with unappealing light. Give me a good task lamp or George Nelson cigar lamp any day!