Friday 18th October 2019

Taking requests, even when I don’t want to

“You aren’t much for polka dots,” writes a reader named Susan, “but I love `em. When they are cool and interesting and maybe a tad sophisticated and unexpected. Sounds like a job for GOACA.” Glad to take up the challenge, Susan, even though you are correct: I am no big fan of the polka dot, which all too often comes off too cartoonish. But I found a handful I liked, starting with this cool black-on-black cardigan.

This blouse is a bit flouncier than what I typically go for, but there’s something really chic about that little black tie.

This dress is sold out in some sizes and is also a bit of a splurge, but it’s so damn pretty I had to include it.

I’m crazy for the embroidered dots on this plus-size option.

I know a lot of you will consider this slip dress too bare to even consider, but I’d wear it in a heartbeat with a cardigan.

I’m cheating a little with this square ikat dots—and also going against type, as I am not crazy for the suddenly ubiquitous off-the-shoulder trend—but this top strikes me as super-cute.

The simplicity of this silk shirt appeals.

This silk top is just so easy and gorgeous.

I like that the dots here are all irregular in shape.

And finally, here’s another plus size option, which I like because it’s a popover, and the dots are really eensy.

Posted on June 13th, 2017 11 Comments

1. Debra says:

Kim: Love the way you’re always up for a challenge! And, always seem to slam-dunk it!

2. Amy in StL says:

This past weekend I almost bought a black dress that was a heavy knit with black polka dots. I decided I didn’t need another simple black dress with an empire waist; but man it was cool. BTW, it was at Talbots which I know a lot of people hate on but they have some great basics and sometimes great on trend pieces too; but they’re a lot cheaper than what you usually feature here. I work for the gov’t so I can’t really afford $300 every time I’m looking for a date night top.

• Mary Alice says:

I hadn’t shopped at Talbots for years, but I was searching for the perfect straw tote and found it at Talbots. I was pretty surprised at what I saw there when I went to pick it up.

3. Reed says:

I always wonder, what type of bra does one wear with a slip dress?

• Jane says:

It depends how endowed you are – smaller boobs, go without. Medium can get away with those stick-and-peel bras (the ones that have no sides or back), and medium to large would need a good strapless number.

4. Rebecca D. says:

You are exceedingly accommodating (I’m being sincere, not sarcastic). I love your style and insights. Thank you!

We love you because you sometimes sublimate your own desires for R13 and Ulla Johnson into polka dots for us GOACA. 😉

The Caslon from Nordstrom has an Ace + Jig feel to it. Also, Ulla Johnson does everything right. Great choices, Kim!

6. Hick from Styx says:

Not for the same reason, I have steered clear of polka dots since childhood. Why? Black or navy and white polka dots were worn by a religious sect in my area. I can’t get past it, and never will.

7. Sharon says:

I’ve never been drawn to polka dots. Then Emerson Fry made a fabulous shirt dress with that cool girl vibe she is so good at and I ordered it. It ships next week. I’m really excited to get it.

8. Jamaica Me Crazy says:

My best friend from high school told me once that only sexually frustrated people wear polka dots and I have never been able to touch one since! I like the black on black cardigan though- it’s got a very Junya Watanabe vibe.

Also- kudos for continuing to show plus size options- but editorial critique- you don’t have to mention EVERY time it’s a plus-size garment. I think most people will figure it out based on the photo, but if a few petite or straight sized women have to accidentally click through it’s pretty much the same as the rest of the women who click through on every blog post to find things that will work for them. It’s basically redundant to say it every time.

Really there are just women- they don’t need to be categorized and singled out- yes we are dealing with an industry that must deal with bodies, but considering yours is a blog devoted to GOACA- we don’t need reminding of what clothes we can or cannot fit.

Thanks!

• KimFrance says:

Thanks for the critique and you’re right—it’s redundant to mention all the plus-size options. But I’m really torn about it, because sometimes you can’t tell from the size of the models that these are the plus options, and I do want to make clear that they’re there!