Saturday 31st October 2020

Summer hat season is upon us

“I was just thinking that I need a good summer hat,” writes a reader named Susmita. “not a baseball cap and not a big floppy thing. Something like what Everlane might do for a summer hat, if they had one.” Lucky for Susmita, I am a fan of neither baseball caps nor overly floppy hats. The former don’t protect you from the sun, and the latter just feel unwieldy. My personal preference is for bucket hats, so of course I have to start with this excellent Liberty of London version from J. Crew.

Here is my candidate for most likely to be produced by Everlane: simple, canvas, and stylish.

This looks very French Riviera circa 1962.

The appeal here is that it’s packable.

Splurgy as all get-out, but a portion of the proceeds go to help Guajiro children overcome malnutrition and educational challenges.

I love how deep this bucket hat is, and this is such a good army green.

Camo is fun, and it’s super-cheap.

Posted on June 2nd, 2017 10 Comments

1. Susmita says:

Thanks so much! I do love the Madewell hat. I bought a safari-style hat from REI, which has not yet arrived, but if I don’t like it I may try the Madewell one in your post.

The Madewell is very cute. Lovely that they have more than one size!

I find that “floppy” hats work very well if the brim is wired, that is, non-floppy. It stays put if you fold it up a bit so you can see (kinda important). I wear hats like this every day. I just need to find one in a lighter fabric for summer. I think to certain people I will always look like an oddball but what can you do?

3. Mary Alice says:

Just bought that packable hat from J. Crew in preparation for an upcoming big trip, and I can vouch for it’s cuteness.

4. Heather says:

I am deeply tempted by the Liberty hat, though am trying to be frugal these days (says the person who just dropped a wad of cash at the Boden sale….)

5. E. says:

A few weeks ago I went to my favorite boutique to buy a sundress but ended up buying that splurgy hat option instead. I adore it. It looked great on, and since I live in Houston, where sun protection is a must for most of the year, I’ll get plenty of use out of it.

6. Jen says:

Speaking of that Liberty of London hat, I was lucky enough to be able to go the the actual Liberty of London store today. What a beautiful store, and I wanted to buy ALL of the things. Gorgeous dinnerware especially.

7. Zelda says:

Bucket hats? Are you sure? When is the last time you saw someone wearing one, not counting unfashionable tourists?

• Heather says:

Aww, i actually wear them! They’re pretty much the only hats that fit me (I have a miniature head).

8. Gables girl says:

The French Riviera is my preferred style. However I buy them at the hardware stores in Miami for about $10. They are very popular here with people doing outdoor gardening.

9. karen says:

any one remember when target did a thing with liberty of london? i managed to get a great bucket hat, don’t remember what i paid, but i’m guessing about half of the Jcrew verison. FYI, still have it as it washes really well.
    anyway, if you want a great bucket hat that travels well, check out llbean..they’ve got a great one thats lightweight, can be stuffed into a bag, and has a toggle to allow you to size it.