Archive for June, 2017
- OK guys, I’m taking off for the long weekend. Hope your plans involve much fun and excellence all around. I’ll be out in Sag Harbor with my family. I rented a car for the summer (!) and am looking forward to spending a lot of the next couple of months out there. Meanwhile, enough about me, see you on the 5th, and how fascinating is this? A collection of artworks made entirely by the mentally ill. (Atlas Obscura)
- It’s kind of amazing that all of these photos were taken with an iPhone. (My Modern Met)
- 25 notable women on therapy. (The Cut)
- A look back at Playgirl magazine. (Esquire)
- 13 of the most remarkable capitol buildings in this country of ours. (Curbed)
This washed linen napkin also comes in a very good grey and some other colors, but I’m feeling partial to the pink.
Bring this handy, cute cooler bag to the beach to keep your cold drinks cold.
How adorable is this denim apron?
I like the print on this bath mat, and the fact that it’s dark. My white bath mats get so dingy.
Every once in a while in the comments, one of you will mention something—a book or article—that you’re working on, and it just got me curious how many of you write, professionally or for pleasure. What’s your project at the moment? I’m eager to hear.
- Loved this story about Cowgirls of Color, an all-female, all-black rodeo team. (The Cut)
- It’s Hillary Clinton’s summer reading list. (The Strategist)
- An interesting, funny piece about Spectra, a hoax poetry movement that accidentally went legitimate. (Atlas Obscura)
- And in the interest of promoting female directors, here’s the trailer for I Do…Until I Don’t, which looks like a fun little romantic comedy about marriage and has a winning cast, from Lake Bell. (Jezebel)
- This is depressing. (Time)
I’ve been sitting on this post for a couple of weeks without running it because I possess so much ambivalence on the topic of shorts. And I’m only including it now because I Instagrammed a picture of myself bravely wearing them over the weekend, which prompted several of you to request a post on them. But they’re such a contentious topic. Many of you flat-out hate them, and for good reason: the wrong pair can do terrible things to your legs. And so many of you have crazy neuroses about exposing your knees under any circumstances. But I like them when it gets really hot, and believe that they can look good on even the most imperfect pair of legs—if you find the right pair. I got some very similar to these from James Perse last summer and wore the hell out of them. They’re definitely on the casual side, but if for kicking around, they’re great.
These have the feel of chinos, which appeals. I’d wear them with a button-down and good belt.
I have these, and adore them.
I think the gym short silhouette is actually a very flattering shape, if you want to go shorter.
And here’s a gym short in plus-size range.
This pair comes almost to the knees and is therefore probably best for those with longer legs.
I like the army green and high waist of this plus size choice.
A shorter pair than I usually go for, but they’re nice and roomy around the leg, which keeps them flattering.
A nicely tailored option from Theory.
I wish this came in more sizes, because it’s the best longer-length denim short I found.
- Highlights from the National Geographic travel photographer of the year contest. (My Modern Met)
- These serpentine tattoos are just gorgeous. (Colossal)
- Authors as style icons. (The Cut)
- I enjoyed this look at the best music videos of the year so far, because I never look at music videos anymore. Some of them are NSFW. They are noted. (Vulture)
- Photos of Australian surf culture. (Vogue)