Friday 18th October 2019

Seven white shirts that aren’t button-downs

Allsaints shirt

Spring is the official opening of crisp white shirt season in my book, and even though I recently professed my dedication to the button-down, I do like to mix it up from time to time. There’s something about a white shirt that just feels so optimistic and pulled-together, and wearing one always picks up my mood a little. I like that this eyelet top has such clean lines—they keep it from looking at all prissy, which eyelet can so easily be.

Theory shirt

You’d definitely need a cami with something as low-cut as this tunic—I’d go for one in white or cream—but this is a really elegant piece.

Current Elliott shirt

Just a really easy, weekendy top.

Catherine Malandrino shirt

The subtle white-on-white stripes here are lovely.

Nili Lotan shirt

OK so this one has a splash of red, and it’s Nili Lotan so it costs a fortune, but it’s as perfect a peasant top as I’ve seen.

The Great shirt

There’s a very subtle print here so technically it’s not all white, but I like the pintuck detail.

Grey by Jason Wu shirt

I just love the funky pleating at the hem here.

Posted on May 10th, 2017 17 Comments

1. suz says:

That first one is just stunning. I have been drawn to eyelet in a big way – and this one isn’t girly or sweet.

Thank god it’s crazy $$$$ as it would look terrible on me 😀

• Susanna says:

Agreed, love the All Saints. Really surprised to see that it’s a tee–it looks so crisp and gauzy.

• suz says:

Agree on the crispness. It’s sort of japanese-y in feeling, the way it sails outward. I would wear it with a long black tube skirt (if I were 20…)

Really want that Current Elliot top, but I need another white shirt like I need another raccoon in my attic. (I’m waiting for the trapper and can hear the furry devil arranging her bed as I type––aaarrrrggghhhhhhh)

3. susan says:

beautiful shirts! maybe something for those who prefer to define the waist, otherwise look lumpen? love your suggestions!

I can’t wear stuff like this but I like looking at it. You *are* on a roll, Kim. Neat-o post!

5. Tara says:

Love these, particularly the eyelet and the Nili Lotan, but I’m too stain prone to invest this much in a white top.

• S. says:

Me too — that’s probably why I understood Kim to mean “optimistic” in the sense of “I will keep my shirt clean all day”!

6. Amy Grossman says:

Love these. The Nila Lotan is fabulous but a little too pricey. If choosing between the All Saints and Current Elliot, what would you choose?

I’m SO ready for white peasant tops in my life again!

8. ktcorz says:

My perpetual roadblock to white shirts of any material cost is how fast the under arm yellows. So happy on first few wears then so frowny when I see them in my closet not sparking joy. Am I alone in this? Are there tricks/tips?

• K says:

Not alone. Garment shields. Easy fix.

• Jenny says:

Do you stitch them into the garment itself, and then unstitch them for a good wash & de-stink? They’ve always seemed daunting and complicated. When I was doing a lot of public speaking, I put maxipads in the insides of my suit jackets — that’s an easy fix, but not one for every day.

• ktcorz says:

Yes, never understood them, either. Had an unopened bag in my drawer for years. Your ingenious pad hack has me grinning ear to ear! Going to try Oxiclean first.

• Susanna says:

Oxiclean works wonders on underarm stains. (And on almost all other stains.)