Tuesday 14th July 2020

Wardrobe classic: The trench

Emmanuelle Alt—Wardrobe classic: the trench

The trench coat is one of those items that always shows up on those silly Ten Things Every Woman Must Own magazine lists, and while I don’t think they’re quite that essential, they do very much come in handy from time to time. They’re quite sexy with dresses, I always think, and super-stylish with jeans. My personal preference will always be for a dark trench—I think they are just so endlessly chic is black or navy—but I’ve included a few here in traditional khaki too, just because that seems fair.

Everlane trench—Wardrobe classic: The trench

It rained buckets in New York last week, and I was so happy to have my trusty Everlane trench, which has served me now for a couple of years.  This is a slight update on the one that I’ve got, and it looks just a speck cooler, I think.

A little on the pricey side, but I like how it’s so slouchy it’s almost kimono-like.

J. Crew trench—Wardrobe classic: The trench

The striped sleeves here are detachable, but I think they’re quite adorable.

Barneys New York trench—Wardrobe classic: The trench

Just a really good, well-cut classic.

This one is crepe and therefore not waterproof, but it sure is nice.

Mango trench: Wardrobe classic: the trench

I love this army green take.

Superdry trench: Wardrobe classic: the trench

For reasons that are completely arbitrary, I like khaki trenches to be on the shorter side; they just seem kickier that way. This is a pretty much exactly right length.

Old Navy trench—Wardrobe classic: the trench

And here’s one at a very nice price.

Posted on May 9th, 2017 10 Comments

1. Heather says:

Thanks for posting these. I’ve been feeling like I need to replace mine, even though I objectively like it, because it’s…. the Ivanka Trump brand. I know. I have a pair of heels from her too. I bought both 3-4 years ago, before I knew what I know now.

• Viajera says:

Well you should do what feels right to you. Mind you I don’t follow any of that stuff all that closely, but… she didn’t choose her parents. And I feel like family members are non-combatants. Even with a White House job. Maybe she is just trying to be on hand to minimize the damage. Just my two cents.

• Sara Bee says:

It’s much more environmentally friendly to keep using what you have and like than to buy new. You already spent the money on it and you like it! I’d slap a “Resist” patch on the tag and keep wearing it.

• lornagnyc says:

It would make me sad to look at her name too. These trumps are every kinds of banana republic BS!

• lornagnyc says:

the resist patch is a good idea!

Sunday I meet my girlfriend after a haircut and the salon is giving out pins that say “Resistance is Beautiful” – really cute campaign (with addressed post cards to mail out to Senators while you’re waiting for a cut or a friend. I LOVE my hairdresser – but was very tempted to book an appt…

• suz says:

Keep the trench – odds are very good she just had her workers/designers copy someone elses product (A trump trait). If you like it – why waste? Just cut that tag out 😀 She had nothing to do with it other than slapping her name on it.

Most of her stuff is knock-offs of other people’s esthetic .

2. Raina says:

I’ve almost reached age 50 and have yet to own a trench, though I did just purchase my first white shirt. Only 8 more “necessities” to go.

3. Jacq says:

Kim – I don’t supposed you have come across an A-Line or flared skirted version? As an hourglass with a large collection of fit’n’flare frocks, I find a straight cut trench just doesn’t work so well with the fifties style… I have been searching for a few years to no avail, so would be very appreciative of any leads you might have!