Saturday 1st October 2022

Thursday links

• The embroidered wall art of Claire Coles is just gorgeous. (The Jealous Curator)
  • These animal portraits are pretty compelling.
  • All the indie movies worth seeing in May. (Flavorwire)
  • This music quiz is really challenging. (Esquire)
  • Watch Iggy Pop and David Bowie appear on Dinah Shore’s daytime talk show in 1977 here. (Dangerous Minds)

Posted on May 4th, 2017 15 Comments

1. y.k. says:

yes yes Claire Coles is wonderful!! her work reminds me of this other incredible embroidery artist – Richard Saja. my friends & i were so taken with Saja’s work we started embroidering on toile too.
    i need to take out my hoop again.
    here’s a link to Saja:

2. Debra says:

Those animal portraits by Brad Wilson are fantastic! I would love to watch the artist at work when he’s photographing the animals.

3. Debra says:

I got 221 on the music quiz. I’m feeling pretty good about myself right now.

• DeDe says:

Ha! I got 221 too! Mostly it was just lucky guesses though (I know approximately jack shit about indie or pop stuff).

• Jill says:

I got 220 and feel pretty good about it after level 5 or so. A lot of this music I’ve not heard – though sometimes I knew the performers’ / band names – but also several lucky guesses. Interesting quiz!

4. Maggie says:

I got 232 on the music quiz and would have done better if my old lady eyes could’ve read the tiny print on the album titles.

5. Adrien says:

Listening to Dinah Shore try to explain punk rock has made my day!

Also, Iggy Pop and David Bowie = my favorite bromance of all time.

6. kathyj says:

I scored 245 on the music quiz (messed up some of the less obvious hip hop). Finally all of the music information clogging up my brain is paying off! 😉

• S. says:

I got the same score, and had the exact same feeling of vindication.

(Full disclosure, though — Some of mine were guesses. I tried to match the sound and feel of the songs to the album art. It worked pretty well, actually!)

7. S. says:

Those animal portraits will cause you to re-think all of your assumptions about humans and all of the other non-humans we live with here. Man. This world is a rich and wonderful place.

8. Jill says:

WOW. Just wow. Claire Coles’ work is so beautiful and the animal portraits are mind-blowing. They look like super-detailed drawings. Thank you, Kim. <3