Tuesday 21st January 2020

Friday links

• There is actually some pretty good style in this slideshow of street style from Paris fashion week. (The Cut)
  • Read about Matthew Weiner’s follow-up to Mad Men here. (Vulture)
  • Indie movies worth watching in March. (Flavorwire)
  • I don’t even know what to think about the fact that Hall and Oates and Tears for Fears have announced plans for a joint tour. (A.V. Club)
  • The non-uninteresting stories behind ten Dr Seuss books. (Mental Floss)

Posted on March 3rd, 2017 18 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I want to be French. I could look at French women all day…

(though I’m still appalled by how many beautiful people in France still smoke cigarettes…)

• DeDe says:

Ha! I was thinking the same thing about looking at French women, and was totally shocked and surprised to see so many of them wearing bold patterns, and color, and colorful bold patterns, all at once even! And then Christene Barberich appeared and it dawned on me that a lot of those women aren’t French. Which was disappointing but also reassuring, because if there’s one thing I’d like to think we do better, it’s mixing patterns and color. Well, us and that row of (Italian, probably) ladies wearing Marni, anyway. Not just anyone can wear that much Marni and get away with it.

• Dana D says:

DeDe…

You are so right, they are not all French. Mostly, in truth, its the French editors who I love to watch. I love Veronique Tristram also because she is letting her hair be natural (gray) and I love the Italian ladies.

Love, love Marni…but a little goes a long way…(I have scored some wonderful secondhand and way-marked-down Marni over the years).

• DeDe says:

Marni is one of my absolute faves, but yeah, loading up on it is definitely not for mere mortals. Just Italians and Jen Mankins.

• Raina says:

I just adore Christene Barberich

2. Alexa says:

I have some serious reservations about look #17…

3. Jill Hearst says:

Happy Birthday Kim Frances! Sending you much appreciation for all your work, your invaluable website for wonderful aesthetics & women empowerment, and for your truth which has helped more women than you’ll ever know. Here’s a link to the band Altered Images’ live version of “Happy Birthday.” Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t1vaF50Ks0

• DeDe says:

What what whaaaaaaaaaaaat???? How do we not all know this?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIM! Here’s to a year filled with love, happiness, fun, unexpected joys big and small, and lots of sloppy dog smooches (but hopefully not after they’ve just eaten something gross). Thank you for filling this place with kindness, honesty, humor, and class, especially during such a dark time. You deserve all the good life has to offer.

I always enjoy looking at the street style photos, but these have many really and truly wearable looks.

#17–not wearable and, for me, offensive because of the gun. But that’s just me.

5. Raina says:

I’m saving my money for next year’s Cyndi Lauper/Rammstein tour.

Funny coincidence …but maybe not…I just found out that a friend of mine photographed one of Hall and Oates 1st album covers! (By a diner)

7. Achariya says:

I’m interested in how grunge all the street shots look. The mall-shopping world is slowly catching up to the 80s, but it looks as though fashion is as always a decade ahead. Welcome 90s, I guess.

8. Susan says:

Husband got 4 front row seats to Tears for Fears concert. Never had front row before, should be a blast!