Archive for March, 2017
- This appreciation of Chaka Khan in the 1970s—complete with old footage—is pretty great. (Dangerous Minds)
- Fashion insiders and celebrities on the worst outfit they ever wore. (The Cut)
- This rundown of 13 signs you’re watching a “prestige” TV show is pretty amusing. (Vulture)
- It is kind of amazing that in 2017 the Census still doesn’t include LGBT questions. (Elle)
- Ten addictive British reality shows available for streaming. (Mental Floss)
Some might argue that cropped jeans aren’t a wardrobe classic at all, but it is my belief that they are, or deserve to be: this time of year, they’re fun to wear with boots, and in a couple of months, they’ll look great with sandals. I’ve got short legs (actually, they may be perfectly in proportion, but all I’ve ever wanted were long legs, so I loathe this about myself) and I feel like they’re really leg-elongating if you’re up for wearing a big old clunky platform with them, which I always am. I like them best with a button-down half-tucked under a V-neck sweater this time of year, and something lighter and breezier later on. This Nili Lotan pair isn’t for everyone, but I think they’re rather fabulous.
I love a good grey jean and I love a good boyfriend jean—and not nearly enough cropped jeans are boyfriend-cut for my taste—so these are aces in my book.
And speaking of boyfriend cuts: I loathe white jeans worn tight, so I really appreciate these.
A nice pair of Levi’s, with a flattering high waist.
And another high-waisted pair, this one from Madewell, that I’ve had my eye on for some time.
I just really like the wash here.
Ditto here; so nice and dark, which is so hard to find.
I know R13s cost a fortune, but if you are in the mood for a splurge and they fit you right they really are worth it: I’ve got this pair, and it is probably one of the three pairs of jeans I wear the most, which is saying a great deal, because I have a lot of jeans.
- The cast of Downton Abbey‘s most un-Downton roles. (Vulture)
- Sarah Silverman has signed on to host a Hulu political commentary series. (Flavorwire)
- Just a bunch of hilariously strange Japanese stock photos. (Dangerous Minds)
- The 25 best Mother’s Day movies. (Elle)
- 7 signs you may be depressed. (Mental Floss)
Well, I’m happy to report I finally made it to Miami, and I type this from the balcony of a friend’s South Beach apartment where I’m staying for part of the time. Before I left town, I bought this amazing new suitcase from Away, and it has possibly the best lining of any suitcase ever. It’s part of a collab with Charity: Water and in addition to looking great, it has a built-in charger for your devices. And did I mention that it fits a (near-literal) ton?
Red, white, and blue is a very summery color combo—better suited for posting about a few months from now than just this moment—but I saw this insanely cute Barbour tote, and I felt I had to build a post around it.
The mix of prints here is quite winning.
And I very much like the scoopneck on this tee—so universally flattering.
- 10 essential British New Wave films. (Flavorwire)
- And in case that’s too high-minded, here’s a list after my own heart: the 50 best movies in under 90 minutes. (Vulture)
- A supercut of SNL’s best feminist moments this season. (The Cut)
- These rock & roll night lights are amusing. (Dangerous Minds)
- Dear God, what a statistic. (Elle)