Saturday 28th May 2022

Wednesday links

• These fun prints reimagine seminal movies, TV shows and comics as postage stamps.
  • And these Italian musician playing cards from the 60s are just a trip. (Dangerous Minds)
  • The 37 most shocking TV deaths. (EW)
  • Shameful. (Time)
  • Are you guys down for the women’s strike? (Jezebel)
Posted on February 8th, 2017 11 Comments

1. y.k. says:

those prints are excellent, especially the first one- how clever to reduce the E.T. poster to those few shapes.

2. Dana D says:

I’m all about a strike…

especially after what happened to Elizabeth Warren and Coretta Scott King in the senate last night…

(do we really have to protest this same f______ shit again?)

I’m trying to decide if I’m more angry or if it just feels better to think about all of those sad, aging, racist white guys being pathetic before they are no more…

• Lisa says:

I wonder a lot about the “last gasp” and do think it is real. But a lot of damage can be done on the way out, yes?

3. Debra says:

I understand that there may be some Republican senators who are well-meaning people with honest motives. All of those folks need to take some time to step back and really consider what they are doing. The DeVos nomination is atrocious on many levels. Are the Republicans going to continue wielding power just because, at this moment in history, they can? Or are they going to wake up and start making thoughtful decisions based on the best interests of the American people? I pray they wake up. If not, history is not going to judge them kindly. Nor are the voters when the mid-term elections roll around. On a lighter note, how much do I love those crazy Italian trading cards? Note that the members of at least one group are turned out in fabulously tailored suits. Viva l’Italia!

• S. says:

The DeVos disaster was/is bad but confirming Sessions as AG is worse given the scope of that office and the fact that his drawback isn’t just incompetence, it’s his long record of active efforts to disenfranchise voters as well as a whole lot of other bad things including anti-woman, anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant, and anti-environment stuff. There will be no end to this Congress and this administration if plans to continue and expand the voter disenfranchisement projects are allowed to succeed. DeVos we can recover from. Sessions, I fear, we cannot.

• Dana D says:

I completely agree…

Yes, devos is very, very bad (and not smart) but won’t do lasting damage. But I’m still trying to believe that the blatant hate-labels now being attached to the republican side of the aisle will simply not be tolerated by the majority.

I didn’t used to think that all republicans were racists. Now I do. There is no middle ground with some of these very simple issues. If one votes to confirm a racist to a high post, then one is also racist. The vote affirms that racism is acceptable to the one who casts it.

I’m going to believe that the more we stand up for each other, and speak the truth, the shorter these dark days will last.

• S. says:

You probably won’t see this since it’s the day after the post but — yes. Probably few Trump voters self-identify as racist, or have ever consciously discriminated against a person of color etc. And yet — they’re ok with racism. It doesn’t bother them. And isn’t that really the same thing?

4. Shannan says:

I honestly didn’t think I could cry anymore about the state of our country and this administration, but clearly I was wrong. I’m so disgusted, ashamed and embarrassed.

I can not for the life of me figure out the GOP congress. Are they that callous? Are they that self-interested? Do they really care so little for our country and the people in it? Do they not realize there is another election and then another and another––the election world didn’t stop when trump entered the White House. Do they think we’ll normalize trump and everything will be okay. Are they too busy gaslighting?

I cry every single day.

I’m totally ready for the women’s strike. #shepersisted

• S. says:

I fear that with the growing number of Republican state legislatures gerrymandering districts and enacting more and more voter restrictions (for which this whole investigation into 3 mil illegal aliens voting is a pretext) the answer might be — so horrible to think of — no, they’re not too worried. I cannot think of any other explanation.

PS. I live in CO, a state HRC won 48% to 43%. Our Repub. senator votes in favor of every item on the Trump agenda.