Wednesday 8th February 2023

In which I do your snow boot shopping for you

Take it from one who has been there and knows: if you wait until the first big winter storm is approaching to buy snow boots, you will be left with nothing but the dregs to choose from. Big old clunky winter boots may not be the sexiest purchase on your list, but that is no reason to delay. And this pair from Sorel is actually pretty chic, I must say.

Here’s a slightly more rugged Sorel model that I also rather like.

Every time I write about snow boots, a few of you bring up Mukluks in the comments, so this time I thought I’d include a pair—even though 1. I’m not certain they’d be all that good in actual snow, and 2. It goes against my usual (and I guess pretty loose) anti-fur policy.

This Moon Boot is clever, and looks like the soul of warmth. Here’s a grey version without (faux) fur that costs a little less, and here they are in blue.

These come in regular old black, but I’m kind of loving the blue.

Classic duck boots, for your preppier moments.

OK, so I’m not at all certain how the treads would hold up to snow and they’re not exactly boots, but I had to include these leather, faur-fur-lined Converse Chuck Taylors because are they not kind of great? I think they look very Rick Owens.

leather version of classic Hunter boots, lined in shearling, at a very nice price.

This sneaker hybrid is right up my alley.

These lined Tretorns are just adorable.

Posted on December 21st, 2016 17 Comments

1. Having 3 daughters and purchased many pairs of Sorels, I will say i was disappointed that those are the main boots you are promoting. In my experience they are hard to walk in, and your feet freeze. There are so many other better boots on the market. This is a Canadian company in Quebec – the boots are rated to -30C and have built in spikes for icy days – they’re quite awesome. Anyway,I’m in eastern Ontario where we have lots of snow and it’s cold so Sorels are garbage to me. Check these out:http://www.olangcanada.com/en/produits/carrie/?c=%23000000

2. Carrie says:

I got hand-me-down duck boots when I was 17 and they lasted until I was 37. They are such good quality.

I don’t need snow boots, but years ago when I did need them I wore Sorels. They were terrific.

4. Heather says:

Kim, THANK YOU. I’ve ordered and returned a few pairs already this season. Amazed that so many of them have soles that would be worthless in slippery snow/ice. I may try one of these next. This is supposed to be a doozy of a winter.

5. DeDe says:

I seriously thought those Chucks were Sisiis (or however that’s spelled). Good job, Converse!

A few years back I had a pair of Bean Boots, and while they’re cute and durable, they were so freakin’ slippy on ice! My feet also got cold in them if I was out for more than a few minutes at a time. Sorels or Kamiks are the way to go, imho. Plus Sorels have kind of an appealing Shelly-from-Northern-Exposure thing going on.

• Kim says:

Yes, the Bean Boots are terrible on ice! Any recommendations for icy sidewalk boots? Sorels?

• Kristen says:

Sorels, particularly the Cate the Great wedge boot in black/grey. I have always received praise on these and they are super warm and have a mad grip on the sole. Also, they are the most comfortable boot ever. I swear by sorels living in CO.

• mrrrrrrrggg says:

Sorel Tofino are also wonderful. Bean boots are also not warm at all (unless you get the heavily insulated versions).

6. Debra says:

I live down south. Sometimes we get actual snow. More likely, though, we get ICE. Or we get a mix of snow and ice. ICE SUCKS. I have some snow boots similar to some of those posted and I love them. But if I have to walk further than about 25 feet, I latch on the Yaktrax to my snow boots. Makes a world of difference. (I have no financial interest in Yaktrax.)

• Amy in StL says:

OMG, yes to the Yaktrax! I keep a pair on my Sorels for walking but I have an extra pair tucked into my bag in case I’m out somewhere and it starts icing.

7. sarah says:

I realize the “to fur or not to fur” aspect may have kept them off your list, but the UGG Adirondack boot is the best! Comfortable and supportive, very warm and pretty good on the ice. For me, Sorels are uncomfortable for walking, and Bean boots are a JOKE on ice.

I’ve lived where it’s super-cold (-55 actual temp) and where it’s just damp cold (by the ocean) and I’ve found that my Pajar Canada snowboots that I bought on your recommendation, keep me nice and warm with wool socks.

9. DC Diva says:

I love Sorels — they saw me through many a Boston winter, have been “on ice” (hee hee) for the last 18 years while I was in Arizona, and now are ready for the DC snow and ice again.

Meanwhile, to accommodate the need to have easy-on, easy-off boots for walking my dog, I got a pair of Moon Boots. Very warm, but absolutely no support. I just ordered inserts and gels from Dr. Schol’s to see if I can make these boots walkable,

10. Kit says:

I live in Minnesota. Boots and scarves are the fashion statements of winter. I own several pair of winter boots. The ones that make me feel cute are the following. They are expensive, but worth it and while not warm, they are waterproof. I bought mine at least three years ago and they are going strong. I’m assuming this is their latest iteration:

11. Hick from Styx says:

It has indeed been a bitterly cold winter so far. Our cold snap lasted weeks, then ended in a days-long snowfall that gave us a white Christmas. We’re still waiting for the snowplows to come. City sidewalks haven’t been cleared. It’s a good thing I have Sorel-type boots. I resisted this look for most of my life, but finally came to my senses.

12. Rebecca says:

It’s funny to read that Sorels are now popular. Growing up in Winnipeg, a very cold city, in the 1980s and 1990s, we poured scorn on anyone who wore Sorels. Despite being extremely nerdy myself, I only wore Docs all winter…