Tuesday 26th October 2021

Things I bought, things I want

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-10-43-15-am

Just operating on the assumption that a girl can’t have too many striped tees here. Note: it’s linen, which means it’s on the sheer side. Which I kind of like, but isn’t up everyone’s alley. I’m thinking it’ll be a good under-layer for sweaters; very cute with just a little bit of the stripes peeking out at the sleeves.

screen-shot-2016-10-24-at-5-12-26-pm

I know I just recently indicated that I’ve got everything I need in the way of leather pants, but what I didn’t say is that I don’t have any leather jeans, and I couldn’t stop thinking about this Frame Denim pair once I saw them—so reader, I bought them. And the fit is fantastic—not too scarily skintight, but snug in the right places—and they’re crazy comfortable.

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-11-07-14-am

And speaking of leather jeans: here is a perfect long cashmere cardigan to pair them with.

screen-shot-2016-10-28-at-6-42-18-pm

In addition to which: I’m kind of in the mood for a nice, high-waisted pair of jeans, for a change.

Posted on November 1st, 2016 17 Comments

1. renee says:

Leather jeans = sausage casings

Just a side note on high-waisted jeans…they can have an unintended mom-jean effect if you are over a certain age. Must be styled, fitted and purchased with a great deal of care. Perhaps a future posting on how to style high waisted jeans without looking like an older middle aged mother transported from 1985?

• DeDe says:

In my experience, high-waisted jeans are very wearable and flattering – much more flatterning on me than low rise ones. They cover my ample dupa and lengthen my legs; they also allow me to wear more cropped silhouettes on top successfully. It’s all about the wash and the style of leg, imho. A dark, skinnier pair goes with everything and bears zero resemblance to the jeans my mom wore in the 80’s.

3. Cara says:

I am with Kim – leather pants are the greatest. I wear them every day once the weather gets cold. I have 2 black and one taupe. Darryl K makes some good ones. BTW, I am 63

4. Ita Darling says:

So I have two pairs of leather jeans- (both Current Elliott) and the pic above with the cashmere aweater highlights my styling conundrum with them- what kind of boots look good with them? I feel like all black is a tad too severe- when it comes to leather pants and leather boots- what are alternatives? I do wear some hair on leopard flat booties, but then that cascades into jacket issues- idk!!

• KimFrance says:

I understand the fear of too much black, but boots in any other color look weird with leather pants to me. I wear boots of all kinds with my various leather pants—flat chelseas, but big platform clunkers too.

• KimFrance says:

I don’t get too tricky with my boots when I wear leather pants, since the leather pants themselves are already enough of a statement. But I will go all over the map with them—everything from flat Chelseas to platform clunkers, depending on my mood.

• Viajera says:

I see the issue, and my only guess is that maybe you could somehow have your shoe echo the color of the top? Otherwise it is hard to add another color without the whole thing looking slightly random… unless, one went with a riot of color theme.

But I must say, I like the severity in the pic, she is like a ladylike Mad Max. No one will give her any backchat.

5. caroline says:

Those leather jeans are really good.
    If I had them I would totally wear with a camel coat:)
    Which I also want/need.
    I bought some high waisted Levi’s the other day. Price is great, and as long as they’re pretty fitted(tight), your ass looks great and the top sucks you in like a little girdle. As long as comfort isn’t a priority they’re pretty fantastic. Now if I can only master the half tuck with a high waist….

6. Mimi says:

I wear sweaters tucked into jeans often, partially because I love wearing belts. But I find when I wear a sweater out over low rise jeans or pants there’s often a bulge at the waistband, even though I have a flat stomach. (Not bragging, I just do.) A high waist solves the problem – all is smooth over my tummy. And if the legs are narrow enough, there’s no hint of Mom jeans or old lady pants.

My guess is that the high waist difference of opinion has to do with different body shapes. I find high waists uncomfortable and so I avoid them and don’t know if they actually look bad on me or not. I like mid-rise for comfort and I also like how they look. Whereas, I have yet to see low rise actually look *good* on anyone… not that some people don’t look good *in* them… just that those same people would also look good, and probably better, in something else. (Like with most capris imo.)

As for the Mom jean thing… I always thought it had more to do with the combo of the tapered leg and the pleated high waist. A flat high waist shouldn’t present the same issue. Ha! I’d love to see someone try to bring back pleats! We could sell tickets. I bet someone somewhere is working on it right now. Jolie-laide sort of thing. The idea, not the company.

8. Lesa says:

I never tuck, and so agree with the better fit of high waisted jeans (or pants in general). I guess because I’m not very hippy, and my formerly flat stomach is nothing but a fond memory, low-rise pants are not only unflattering, but no matter how tightly I cinch the belt they constantly feel like they are falling off.

9. I’m seriously in love with your leather jeans. Also, love the side inset detail to the high-waisted skinny jeans.

Frame Denim is killing it lately. I bought a pair of their staggered hem straight jeans over the summer, they really make a great jean.

10. beccajean17 says:

I am in love with every one of these items. You have the best style!