Archive for November, 2016
- The 12 most unexpected spinoffs in TV history. (Vulture)
- In the ongoing spirit of keeping up the good works, here’s a list of progressive organizations to throw your weight behind. (Flavorwire)
- This Hamilton/Beyonce mashup is good fun. (Kottke)
- The first trailer for the sixth and final season of Girls is here. I think the fifth season turned out to be rather good and I’d pretty much lost interest in the show before that, so I’m looking forward to it. (The Frisky)
- Good on Patagonia for donating 100% of the proceeds of their Black Friday sales to charity. (Fortune)
Beauty sets abound this time of year, and I am a complete sucker for them. They’re almost always a really good deal—as in, you get a lot more than you typically pay for—even if you go the splurgetastic route, like with this Laura Mercier fantasia of her most iconic products.
Look closely: this (also rather splurgy) Ultimate Beauty Kit from Net a Porter is all winner, no filler.
This palette from Too Faced seems like an especially good deal: a bumper crop of eyeshadows, blushers, and bronzers, and a happy little travel-friendly tube of their stellar Better Than Sex mascara, all for just under $50.
The purchase of this selection of skin-care items from Kiehl’s benefits Feeding America.
The packaging of this Ren Skincare set is so pretty you won’t even need wrapping paper.
I would just up and die if somebody gifted me this lipstick paradise from Bite Beauty.
But I also quite like this smaller set, also from Bite Beauty, which rings in at a quite reasonable $39.
- Wes Anderson directed this impossibly twee—but also impossible to dislike—holiday-themed short film, sponsored by H&M. (Flavorwire)
- Here’s a world map with every country’s tourism slogan on it. (Kottke)
- Japan is creating a spa amusement park and I am so there. (Time)
- This all-women’s motorcycle club delivers breast milk to women in need. (R29)
- Got a spare $150,000 burning a hole in your pocket? Possibly you might look into purchasing Dennis Hopper’s record collection. (Rolling Stone)
Because they’re super-chic and handy, and nothing says fresh start like a new wallet, and I’m feeling like a fresh start might be just the thing right about now. First up: I’ve got no idea why I am so totally fixated on this splurgetastic multicolored number from Balenciaga—thoughts, anyone?—but I totally am.
A really nicely put-together under-$100 option.
I like the exterior change purse here.
The geometric cubes on this pick from Pierre Hardy are fun.
Love this embossed gold leather choice from Comme des Garcons.
I didn’t think I could possibly need another pair of sneakers (really, the word “need” got removed from of the equation quite some time ago) but then I saw these special blue Adidas Stan Smiths, and now all bets are off.
These Vans are lined in fleece, and weatherproofed for winter, and I tried them on at Madewell the other day and they are just completely fantastic.
Old-school Pumas, but with a platform.
- Over at Need Supply—which has an excellent home and design department I have only very recently discovered—everything is 25% off. Just type in CYBERMONDAY at checkout. I’m loving this ceramic vase.
- At Madewell, the discount is also 25% off; code is CYBERMONDAY.
- Clare Vivier is offering 30% off select styles. Code is CYBER30.
- J. Crew’s discount is an amazing 40% with the code MONDAY.
- And Alternative Apparel, makers of excellent slouchy tees, are extending a whopping 50% discount with the code CYBER50.