Wednesday 2nd December 2020

The ineffable cool of the long-sleeved striped tee

striped-tee

I was having a tough time figuring out how to adequately describe for you what it is that I find so appealing about this particular article of clothing, and how it differs—aside from a few inches of fabric—from its short-sleeved counterpart, when I called my friend Andrea for help. Is it that there’s something more sophisticated about a long-sleeved striped tee? I asked her. Less poppy and fun, and more polished? Is that it? “It’s French,” she replied, without taking even a millisecond to consider. “That’s it.”  And of course she’s right.

other-stories-striped-tee

Remarkably, I’ve only got two long-sleeved striped tees in my closet and they’re both black and white; some diversification is clearly in order. This red and blue number—so French chick— might be a nice place to start.

crew-blue-stripe

This blue on blue option is subdued but still statement-y.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-55-47-pm

Black and army green is completely unexpected and maybe a little weird, but it totally works.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-4-17-51-pm

The only designer logo for which I am a total sucker is the Comme des Garcons Play heart, and I am wickedly tempted by this bold red and white tee emblazoned with it.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-4-20-51-pm

This one is just an outrageously good buy.

Posted on September 28th, 2016 17 Comments

1. DeDe says:

The other thing about long-sleeved stripes, though, is that they’re really versatile – they look great worn alone, or peeking out under other things; they form a good base for pattern mixing; they can take an outfit from blah to snappy; and they look good on everyone, pronouncements about body size/shape be damned. You get a hell of a lot of milage out of them, which is something I can’t say for any of my other long-sleeved tees. So they are never not a great purchase. PS, these ones are all so good, but the blue Comme de Garcons one is totally the boss of me.

• Kate says:

This! It can so easily be worn on its own and look incredibly pulled together, but it can also be the base of pattern mixing or more trendy looks. I also think it’s the base of so many styles–it can be preppy or punk or romantic.

And here here for working on everyone! As a plus sized woman, I spent so much time longing for striped shirts but refusing to wear them. Thank goodness I got over that hang up.

2. Christine says:

The striped black and red Proenza Schouler tee you recommended last September made me wince when I bought it, but it’s terrific and much used.

3. Mae says:

I have a pair of Robert Clergerie robin’s-egg-blue-and-brown saddle shoes and one day my mother-in-law said, “And what on earth are those shoes you’re wearing, my dear?” and my husband said to her, “They’re French.”

This was 25 years ago and I still think of it when I need to remember that he gets me.

4. LeighTX says:

My husband always fusses about how many striped tops I own, and just last night we were discussing how the blue and white striped top I was wearing was different from the white and blue striped top in my closet, and also different from the blue and white striped cardigan I just bought. 🙂 I’m just going to tell him they’re all French, maybe that will end the argument.

I love all of these. I need another striped tee like I need another husband, but am ordering….

6. KimberSam says:

I have the CDC top in blue, lavender and goldenrod stripe. My only problem with them is the material. They are oddly thick and stretchy. Oh–and for a decent slouch factor you need to size up.

7. Nina Forrest says:

What about the classic from llbean.com. Search French Sailor Shirt. Love the boat neck.

8. Judy says:

I love the idea and look of this type of shirt, especially with a boat neck. But do any of them look good on busty women? (I didn’t use to be so busty and could carry them off then.)

• Bailie says:

I am really rather busty and love striped long sleeved shirts, I have found though that adding a v neck does help break up the rather large chest expanse area.

9. Debra M says:

I just bought one I love at Target on a 2 for $20 sale!. It’s called The Ultimate Tee by Merona.

10. Tricia says:

I love a good striped shirt but it can be so hard to find one that works with boobs. Sigh.

11. Mabry says:

This may be difficult to believe, but I have a blue and white, and a red and white long sleeved T from the J Peterman catalog that I’ve worn for years. They’re a great weight, have held up well, and fit my substantial boobs nicely.

I also have probably 15 other striped T’s (Yes, I’m obsessed) but these two are my faves.

12. Bailie says:

I really love that army green and black one, would be great with a black mini, black tights, and docs.

My J Crew striped tees are everything! All colors and styles. I’m kind of like Daisy in that annoying shirt scene from “Gatsby”… “They’re such beautiful shirts, she sobbed, her muffled in the folds. It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such beautiful shirts.” 🙂