Sunday 28th February 2021

Fixation of the week

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 9.49.59 AM

I fell down a major rabbit hole over the past few days, and all the blame goes to Julie Klam, a (very clever) writer from whom I learned that one can customize totes at LL Bean. Reader, if you are looking for a highly effective time-killer, rest assured that it has been located. A person can spend hours noodling away here, changing strap lengths and colors and monograms, and I pretty much did. After a while, I felt a little snow blind from all the options and permutations, and possibly the bag you see here is deeply crazy, but something about it appeals.

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 10.02.32 AM

Over at Adidas, you can choose from a dozen or so sneaker options, and of course I went for Stan Smiths. My friend Michelle came up with this bold-but-not-overwhelming blue/green color combo.

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 12.40.46 PM

I kept my Chuck Taylors on the simple side, but you can really go crazy here if you choose to, as every single small detail of the shoe, right down to the racing stripe on the sole, is up for grabs.

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 1.24.56 PM

So many options at Jonathan Adler: Pillows! Throws! Rugs! All ready for you to make yours. Just choose from a multitude of prints, then proceed to have your way with them. I kind of like my rather subdued Union Jack pillow.

Posted on May 6th, 2016 18 Comments

1. Trixie says:

Love the bright blue Stan Smiths but one note of caution– if you customize them, they’re not returnable. And I find that they run a full size larger than usual. I designed some awesome navy suede ones with hot pink bottoms and had to give them away. Such a bummer. So do yourself a favor and try them on first.

2. caroline says:

Boggles the mind..
    It’s like going to a great record store( remember those) and their were way to many to choose.
    That grey Union Jack pillow is killer. I love how it’s kitch and classy at the same time. I may have to get that🙂
    Ya done good work!

3. Mimi says:

I just played with options for the Chuck Taylor’s. The customization possibilities are fantastic cause I have a weird aversion to sneakers with white bottoms, especially if the body of the shoe is black. And I’ve put a lot of effort into changing the color of laces, which is part of the process on the special Chuck’s. Yippy! Sorry you’ve been laid up with a cold, Kim. Feel better soon.

4. Daisy says:

You can even customize the inside of those Stan Smith’s that you have pictured. Makes for a really thoughtful gift.

5. Maggie says:

Whenever monogramming is an option on something I always go for WTF. Yes, I am 12 (actually I am 56 but whatever. Mentally 12).

6. Dana D says:

Did you know that New Balance does this also?

I am hankering for a pair but cannot decide on the colorway…

7. Hick from Styx says:

Customizable…oh no! Temptation.

8. Blackdogramona says:

That is then EXACT colors and style of LL Bean tote I “designed” for myself last year to use as a work tote bag. Love it. Well done! Def order it!

9. Suz says:

Have always loved LL Bean totes – and yep, I fell down that same customizable hole. (also converse – same thing)

Still – you will have that tote way past the zombie apocalypse, so its good that you got one that you like 😀

10. Tara says:

You can also customize Vans. My teenage son is currently sporting a flamingo print with pink suede trim.

11. gablesgirl says:

LL Bean Boat totes. Another monogramming addiction. I have three.

12. Trina says:

I went to a few of those websites and essentially copied what you had created. I felt like I had lost the creativity badge at school, but then I remembered I check your website (every day) because I love your taste.
    Now I feel better.

13. Deborah Flanagan says:

And you can customize a cool pair of VANS as well.

14. Sharon says:

I’ve had a medium LL Bean pink handle tote w my French Bulldogs name Sooiee for 10 yrs – it’s her go to the sitter bag.
    It’s a great gift for so many occasions. We love it💕