Archive for April, 2016
Would it surprise any of you to learn that the one item I am most frequently implored upon by readers to locate is a perfect, simple, inexpensive white tee? And that I have not been holding out on you just for kicks? Locating this particular item is a challenge for a number of reasons, not least of which is that we all have varying ideas on what exactly the perfect white tee is. For me, it’s linen, because linen slouches instead of clinging, which I think works best with white, and my favorite of the moment is this one from Everlane. It’s got an all-around loose (but not boxy) comfortable fit, and I love, love, love the sweet scoopneck. Fair warning: it is—as all linen tees are—the tiniest bit sheer. Nothing a flesh-colored bra can’t solve.
- This tribute ad from Chevrolet is just so wonderful. (Adweek)
- The New Yorker always rises to the occasion in situations like this, and this week’s cover feels about right. (New Yorker)
- I just keep watching this video of Bruce Springsteen opening his Barclay’s Center performance Saturday night with a cover of Purple Rain and it just keeps giving me the chills. (Vulture)
- 19 notable women on how Prince affected them. (The Cut)
- Purple Rain the movie is having a limited run nationwide through April 28, and I am so there. (A.V. Club)
When my close pal Andrea Linett came to lunch not long ago carrying an advance copy of her new book, The Cool Factor, I immediately turned into the rudest lunch date ever, unable to take my eyes off its pages, and return my focus to conversation like a polite person should. This book is like that—you just fall in, obsess over all the juicy bits, and devour. About three dozen surpassingly stylish women—almost all of whom are over 40, which is cool—are profiled (and photographed beautifully by Andrea’s husband Michael Waring) and they provide the kind of real-life inspiration that I, for one, am always craving. There are also tons of helpful wardrobe hints, all imparted in Andrea’s fun, funny, highly relatable voice. The message here is that great style is something we all can have, and that it’s something to have fun with, and if there is any justice in this world, it will become a classic.
- 24 crazy Prince stories. (Vulture)
- A visit to his LA home (New Yorker)
- This Chapelle Show bit is a riot. (Time)
- High points of his rivalry with Michael Jackson. (Slate)
- That time he appeared on New Girl. (A.V. Club)
This outfit recipe is so straightforward you guys don’t really need me to walk you through it, but the blazer/jeans/tee/sneakers combo is such a favorite of mine I couldn’t quite resist laying it all out anyway. The most important component, of course, is the blazer, and I love the skinny shawl lapel on this particular one. (Of course, this one is pretty good too, and rings in at a friendlier price.)
A striped tee under the jacket is so tomboy cool.
A classic shoe for a classic outfit.
Blue sunglasses are a nice way to throw some color into the mix while still playing it pretty safe.