Tuesday 4th August 2020

Be still my heart—it’s the Shopbop Friends & Family sale

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.11.39 PM

Between now and April 7, everything on Shopbop is 25% off*, which means it’s a good time to buy the type of items on sale that might not ever make it to sale status otherwise. Like for instance this Veronica Beard blazer with a built-in hoodie—for a cool layered look without all that unseemly bulk.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 3.51.12 PM

Just the kind of tunic tee you want to live your life in.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 3.52.06 PM

One of the highest-rotation items in my closet at the moment: skinny army pants from The Great.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 3.53.18 PM

The idea of a metallic clog sandal delights me.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 3.55.47 PM

As does the notion of carrying a Jerome Dreyfuss backpack.

*Of course there are exceptions. Alas, there always are. They are here.

Posted on April 5th, 2016 20 Comments

1. DeDe says:

I want those skinny armies so bad. But my life is out of synch with this sale, sadly (aliteration helps, but only somewhat).

2. Hick from Styx says:

Retro-tastic shoes, yes!

3. Joanne Roston says:

300 Canadian dollars for a pair of pants!!! Are you insane? I love your blog but seriously that is just revolting.

• Viajera says:

I like to pretend that it’s because the designers paying all their employees a living wage. It *could* be true! (I don’t actually know.) Keep hope alive…

Otherwise, I still don’t see the harm in separating some 1 percenters from some of their pile.

I’m not saying you’re wrong though. I know just what you mean.

• DeDe says:

Look, I don’t think anyone’s going to argue that that’s a lot of money for pants, and certainly you have a right to your opinion regardless, but can we agree to not insult Kim, here? I’m not sure if you’re for real or a troll, but the community of people here (most of whom, I imagine, have a smaller budget than Kim does) is what it is in large part because we treat each other with respect, even when we disagree. It would be nice if we could keep it that way.

• Joanne Roston says:

I am not a troll (seriously, I had to look that up, to be sure I knew what you meant) I in no way meant to imply that Kim was insane or revolting and I realized upon re-reading that it could perhaps be read that way. I read Kim’s blog every morning and really love it. I just got ‘irked’ I guess. Please accept my humble apology, I irked and posted, not a good look.

4. joannawnyc says:

I want that asymmetrical tunic! In ALL the colors!

5. E. says:

Joanne, why are you so outraged? I’m truly curious. BTW, I wouldn’t pay that much for those pants, but here’s the way I look at it:

Kim looks around the internet, finds information and items that are inspiring, cool, and interesting, and puts them out there for us to see. We are at liberty to agree that said information and items are inspiring, cool, and interesting, or we can disagree. If we see something we like, we can say, love those pants, but I would/could never pay that price, so let me see if I can find a less expensive alternative.

So I’m genuinely puzzled when people get upset about some items Kim puts out there being expensive. Some are, some aren’t, but why should I care? What am I missing?

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

YUP!!! 🙂

• Joanne Roston says:

Please see my reply to DeDe, above.

I am a hypocrite as I have paid ridiculous amounts of money for basics. I got caught writing a thoughtless post. But it has taught me something about myself, so thank you ladies!

6. Alison says:

These picks are all great, and all a little pricey- I think that’s the point? She’s showing us items that we might not normally buy because they’re more expensive versions of basics that are endlessly wearable and well made (so the cost per wear ratio would be relatively low). But now that there’s a sale, the price is a bit more reasonable. That doesn’t mean you have to buy them. For some, it’s a great shopping guide, for others (like me) it’s mostly fantasy, but it’s still fun to be part of the conversation.

7. Alison says:

Also, what I mostly want to know Kim, is how is the sizing on those pants? If I normally wear a 27/28, should I size up? Thanks!

8. farha says:

I love the clog sandals! Swedish Hasbeens are gorgeous.
    I wish those were a bit shorter heel.

Oh and the Wilt top is lovely. I believe Bloomingdales has friends & fam right now and most of the Wilt tops are 25% there as well.

Fun pics!

Everything is SO freakin’ good! But WHY OH WHY must every great shopping site decide to hold their “Friends and Family” sales at the same time??? I don’t like to have to choose which one I’m going to spend at when there are things I could use from each.

10. Joanne Roston says:

I want to apologize to you Kim. I really did not mean to imply anything about you or your blog, which I adore. I post my real name, so you can see I am not a troll. I will think my posts through better in the future. Sorry my lesson was on you. :))

11. jenny says:

Hey Kim, thanks for the heads-up! Bought some white tank dresses as cover-ups for my trip to the BVI. I am NOT bathing suit-ready this year in any way!!