Saturday 1st October 2022

Wednesday links

eliz taylor

• So many good pictures here from Elizabeth Taylor’s home. (Slate)
  • Such a fabulously psychedelic 1970 commercial for the first season of  Monday Night Football. (Atlas Obscura)
  • Will Amazon be opening hundreds of bookstores in American malls soon? (NY Mag)
  • Good on Adele. (The Cut)
  • And finally: Smashing Punpkins and Liz Phair both peaked in the 90s. As did I, which is why I’m so excited they’re going out on tour together. (A.V. Club)
Posted on February 3rd, 2016 8 Comments

1. DeDe says:

How great is it that Liz actually wore those pink girly skull-and-crossbones cowgirl boots? I mean, ok, the boots are awful, but still. I love imagining her wearing those while hooking up ailing gay men with their much-needed AIDS meds. She was a force.

Peaked in the 90s? Hmm. I’m not sure I agree. Perhaps in a conventional, amount-of-hype sense only. I don’t think writers age. I’m not really sure mathematicians do either. And if they do, who’s to say they aren’t getting smarter?

Maybe those rules apply more to men. (What with the testosterone. But even with that, wouldn’t I rather have a nice, experienced 50 year old than a college boy, even if… (ahem)? Yes, I would. So there’s that.) Aging s*cks enough already, we don’t need to give it more power than it deserves.

Well also, I didn’t like the 90s as much as you did. Same with the 80s. This century is maybe a little better, but I can still change my mind.

• DeDe says:

Amen to the not giving aging more power than it deserves bit.

Kim, you would never put up with anyone telling you that you peaked 20 years ago, right? That’s a horrible thing to say to somebody – please don’t say that about/to yourself.

3. Tara says:

That football commercial is glorious. I’d WATCH that detective show, especially if the awesome backing band was jamming throughout!

4. Rita says:

I’m a total lurker here, but I too felt compelled to comment on the peaking. Public prominence is not the only factor in play for any of us in terms of value. I’d hope that my friends and family would not say that I’ve already peaked, and I’m betting that yours would feel the same way. I’m also betting that few of us would trade places with the 20-years-younger versions of us.

We are fine wine, fellow readers. And I love sharing this space with all of you.

• KimFrance says:

You know guys, I knew that line was going to be trouble and my gut told me not to include it. It really was just a joke, inspired by the fact that I’m always banging on about the 90s. Sorry if you took offense.