Sunday 20th September 2020

Thursday links

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 8.58.56 AM

• This map of the most distinctive slang word in each state of the union includes some real pips. (Slate)
  • I have always found this story fascinating: from the 1940s until the 60s, freshmen at top colleges like Harvard, Yale, and Barnard were made to be photographed naked during orientation week. In the name of science. (Mental Floss)
  • This recut of Seinfeld episodes turns Susan’s death-by-envelope into a serious drama. (Kottke)
  • I love a good list, and this one’s a whopper: the top 100 must-watch TV dramas. (Vulture)
  • People and their wackadoo obsessions: here’s a single-topic blog from a woman who wants to make smoothies in as many Pantone colors as possible. (Visual News)
Posted on September 3rd, 2015 14 Comments

1. Susanna says:

That Seinfeld thing is brilliant. The hokey music is hilarious.

2. Mary Alice says:

Hella is exclusively a Northern California thing. You will never hear anyone south of San Jose using that term.

3. laura jean says:

I’ve lived in Tennessee for most of my life and I’ve never heard the word :whirlygust”.

4. Carrie says:

I think the usage for Wicked was wrong. I’ve only heard it used as “wicked good,” or “wicked bad,” not as a stand alone adjective. I think England uses it as a stand alone.

5. Maria says:

Lived in Kansas for nearing 2 decades – not once have I ever heard anyone say “shucky darn”.

6. Kathleen Trail says:

I’m pretty sure the music in the Seinfeld clip (at least at the beginning) was from The Shawshank Redemption?

Also, I love the smoothie-Pantone project! Have you seen the Tiny PMS site (http://tinypmsmatch.tumblr.com/)? It’s so deliciously satisfying and zen…

Oh, and most Texans I know don’t say “hoss” but I have heard it uttered by a few die-hard cowboys plus some very drunken frat guys.

The slang word thingy seems a little off-kilter. I’m a born and bred Texan and have never ever ever heard anyone use the word “hoss.” It is fun, however, to take a gander at some of the words from other states.

8. annabel says:

Language things like that never work when you’re trying to do a whole state. I’ve lived in Seattle for over 20 years and I’ve never heard anyone use the term “jumble sale,” maybe it’s a thing east of the Cascades. My sister’s lived in Texas even longer and I’ve never heard her say the word “hoss.”

• Jen says:

I have lived in more than 5 counties in WA state and have NEVER heard the phrase “jumble sale”. Garage sale, yard sale, even “tag sale” in the city (which I think is an east coast thing?). But jumble? Yeah, no.

9. Kate says:

“Dude” would be the word for Southern California.

10. e says:

That language map seems inaccurate, or at least outdated, to me as far as most of the states I’ve lived in go (the last time I heard “banquette” used in Louisiana to refer to a sidewalk was in the late 1980s by my friend’s 90-year-old grandmother), but my best friend from Birmingham, AL uses cattywampus all the time. I adore that word.

11. Raina says:

“Fourteener” is specific climbing reference to a mountain measuring over 14,000 feet high. I live in the Colorado Rockies (at an unreasonable altitude) and have never heard anyone use that word in casual conversation.

Wisconsin born and bred, I’ll never forget asking people on the streets of NYC for the nearest “Tyme Machine” and getting stared at like I was an alien! Haha…I guess I WAS by NY standards!