Tuesday 21st January 2020

In which fashion week throws us a happy curveball

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.03.00 PM

Don’t get me wrong; the crimes against style during fashion week were many.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.10.33 PM

Grown women dressed like children.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 4.50.43 PM

To an astonishing degree.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 4.54.27 PM

Really, it was almost too seductive.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.04.07 PM

Meanwhile, apparel looked like creatures.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 4.00.50 PM

Bags looked like toys.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.06.26 PM

And there was a convergence-of-the-nouvelle- Stepfords thing going on that I can’t even begin to understand.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 4.00.28 PM

Possibly you can explain.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.17.04 PM

But there was something else going on too; something kind of great. Photographers took their eyes off the clown college auditions long enough to shoot some of the many, many women who turn up at the shows looking absolutely fantastic. These are the women I’m always telling you about—editors and buyers for whom attending the collections is work, not a spectacle. These are women who encounter every trend that comes down the pike each season, and develop a style that—at its best—is the very chicest version of classic. Check out the oversized shirt here, so excellent and crisp, and the leather skirt, which is perfectly and simply tailored. And the fact that she accessorized with espadrilles instead of something dead serious just delights.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 3.59.12 PM

Another nice example of how little it can take to get things fantastically right: the quilting of the skirt combined with the shirt’s stripes is such a sophisticated (and wicked simple) take on playing with textures and prints. (Here’s that shirt if you’re dying for it—as I, predictably, am)

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.30.26 PM

OK, these two get a couple of points deducted for dressing in jackets when it was by no stretch of the imagination jacket weather last week, but I like how much they both look like people who’ve found their signature looks and stuck with them.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.22.43 PM

I just want to share for a moment that Emmanuelle Alt, editor of of French Vogue, is  47, and she is looking pretty damn good in leather pants for 47.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.27.41 PM

And just in case you guys are beginning to fear that I am only a proponent only of the boring, the solid, and the safe: here is a balls-out print that works fabulously well, and here is why: its wearer has wisely decided to make it her outfit’s single statement, instead of piling on the lunchbox handbags and whatnot. She does have fun with the sunglasses, but it is the kind of fun that creates harmony with the dress, instead of fighting violently against it for attention.

butts

I just love this picture because so many women in my former line of work looked exactly like this. They were the ones who always had fresh manis.

lauren hutton

And finally: Lauren Hutton shows the kids how it’s done.

Pictures via The Cut, Marie Claire, Racked, Style.com and Vogue.

Tags: , ,
Posted on September 15th, 2014 26 Comments

1. Dianne says:

FAshion Week photos just leave me scratching my head-folks try so hard to look “different” and “unique” that it ends up looking insane. But I do find what goes on outside the shows more interesting than what the designers are showing.

I pinned the Emanulle Alt photo on a Pintrest board, ditto for the gals in the jeans and black sling backs.

2. Kimberly says:

When I see grown women (and I consider over-20 “grown”) dress like girls my mind is boggled. I feel like I *earned* the right to be sophisticated when I dress. Ankle socks and knee socks are items of clothing that I couldn’t wait to grow out of. Graphic tees have their place, but not when you’re trying to look fashionable. Oh, whatever. *sips her glass of Ensure*

3. Hannelore says:

Oh, to be as cool as Lauren Hutton…she rocks.

4. y.k. says:

i love your roundup of fashion week!
    i also love that comme des garcon shirt but not the price d’accord,
    and did emmanuelle alt get a hair cut??? shes the coolest.

5. 13bees says:

I often wonder how different life would’ve been if I’d been the sort of girl who always had a fresh mani…

6. AK says:

Love this, especially the reference to how fashion professionals approach their style. Would love to hear more about that in the future. Thank you for the reality check!

Wonderful examples––both the glorious and the goofus.

Possibly my fav are the women in jeans and low-sling backs.

Lauren Hutton is just so splendidly perfect.

8. Maria says:

The jeans and low sling-backs look sooo good. And I’m pretty sure I have a pair shoes almost exactly like those languishing in my closet . . .

9. jhops says:

Thank you for continuing to rail against the “clown college auditions” at Fashion Week. The stench of TRY makes my eyes water, too.

10. viajera says:

My guess is, the clown college people are just trying to make a name for themselves, or their website.

Perhaps the long dresses were due to the weather?

As for the rest, I am sorry to be difficult but I’m not sure I get it. They look okay, and I do appreciate simplicity. I didn’t see anyone with a noticeable style though, and I don’t even think that’s important. Otoh, it doesn’t seem at all risky either. (Except maybe Alt with the leather pants and heels. I guess she can’t really blend anyway though.) I guess what I’m saying is, they don’t dress better than any other reasonably stylish, tasteful person. Which is fine. But is it new? Maybe it shouldn’t be new. But are we here saying it is? Or is it new for fashion insiders to feel okay about dressing like a normal person? (I would have *no idea* if that is new or not.)

Too bad about the logo on that shirt. Hideous. Then again, I think maybe sometimes we worry that we *will* look just like everyone else. So we have to show that no, this shirt is really very expensive and exclusive. Or whatever.

• y.k. says:

although i’m generally anti-overt-logo, the comme de garcons one transcends logo! it’s just a really puckish image!

• viajera says:

Well, I am glad everyone isn’t mad at me! I was having guilt. I wasn’t trying to say they don’t look nice. Only that to me, it almost, sort of … shades into girl normcore. NTTIAWWT.

I had thought that link went to J Crew for the shirt, oops, shows what I know.

11. Lisa says:

Love seeing actual women in actual clothes. Doesn’t make for a punchy photo, which is almost certainly the impetus towards clown clothing. And I’ve owned 2 CdG fierce heart shirts and love them almost tragically.

I think women of a certain age have often earned a truly fierce heart.

12. Johanna Moroch says:

I always enjoy your comments on the fashion scene- and appreciate the lower priced versions of cool stuff you find….

13. Reba says:

The blue jeans and sling-backs look so good. If I could find a couple of pairs of jeans that fit me like that, I’d wear them nearly every day. I read somewhere that the trick to this look is to buy vintage jeans and then have them tailored. Sounds like a lot of work, but then so is trying on countless pairs of new ones, so maybe I should try.

14. joannawnyc says:

I don’t get the whole sisterwife thing either.

15. Mary Alice says:

Thanks for those images and your critiques, which are spot on. Photos of Lauren Hutton are always such a palate cleanser. I want to be her when I grow up!

16. Violet says:

Well…after all of the photos of floursacks on broomsticks (which is how so much “fashion” looks to me, a girl of a certain age and size), my breath caught in my throat at the Lauren Hutton photo. Gorgeous, confident, and timeless.

17. tamara says:

loved this post. loved the comme de garcons striped shirt…predictably. did not love the price tag…

18. EVE says:

great shots with great comments by you

19. Suz says:

Love Lauren Hutton. She always looks fantastic. I know everyone reveres the French and Ines D la F in particular – but she did it first. She is (has) casual style at its best.

The sling backs are a very “I work in fashion” shoe. Not walking friendly for the rest of us, but a good look.

20. Suz says:

Do the Stepford (nailed it, btw) dresses creep the hell out of anyone else?

21. Maggie says:

The best part of Lauren Hutton’s “outfit” was her mile wide stride. Confident and classy.