Wednesday 28th October 2020

What I’m craving for fall: part II of a (possibly lengthy) series

quilted jacket zara

I used to really actively dislike quilting, but lately I’m finding it quite chic, and keep gravitating to it whenever I see it in stores. So funny how taste changes that way. The pieces I like best are black (if you wear a lot of black like I do, it’s a nice way to at least add texture when you’re not adding color) with shapes that are on the sophisticated side.  Like for instance, this bomber, which—with its oversize silhouette and cool wrist detail—is so Euro fashion editor.

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 5.27.27 PM

The easiest thing to do with a quilted bag is to go for a Chanel look, and I love that this clean-lined tote doesn’t.

marc by marc quilted bag

Dying for this awesome little duffel.

zara quilted leather

This leather bomber is a dead ringer for the Isabel Marant bomber that I went crazy for back in the spring—but so very much cheaper.

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 8.16.32 PMWhipstitching with quilting sounds like a recipe for disaster, but this actually totally works.

Posted on September 2nd, 2014 12 Comments

1. heathhansn says:

What is the source for the quilted tote bag.

2. Lynne says:

Psst, link for the awesome-looking quilted tote leads to the previous bomber jacket. 🙂

3. therealblonde says:

Not that I can afford the real deal, but I do have a problem with Zara blatantly copying other people’s design. Plus their unethical labor problems… I can’t bring myself to shop there.

I’m just not into it, which isn’t to say that I won’t be by the end of the season. 😉

5. Anne says:

I am finding myself strangely drawn to those quilted Barbour jackets and/or the vests. And it occurs to me that this is also the answer to the earlier post about the blue shoes.

6. Karen says:

Love the Clare V quilted tote… Have two of her clutches that I use as tote organizers (one holds makeup & tech supplies, the other has random purse-type stuff) because I can’t seem to pare down enough to carry just a simple flat clutch. The tote would be sheer perfection if it zipped shut.

7. y.k. says:

quilting hasn’t called my name yet. but like mamavelveeta, i won’t be suprised if i’m wearing a quilted something by the end of the year.

8. Maggie says:

I just got this–the print is butterfly wings–and I love it to death. So soft and squooshy and fits everything:

9. Kate says:

Does anyone have a macbook air 11″ clutch case they love? The Clare V. oversize cluch would be exactly right: http://www.clarev.com/collections/technology/products/oversize-clutch#Silver-Mirror-Oversize except it’s much too big. Looking for something leather and very minimal, no extra pockets or anything.

10. Grenadine says:

I think quilted leather works pretty well – I could see myself doing it. Quilting in any other fabric, though, and I start to feel a little bit too conservative-looking. I don’t know, certain types of quilting just look too matronly or country clubbish or something to me. But yeah, the leather works, especially in black.

11. Cate Adair says:

Love the leather bomber look! Here is another quilted jacket ensemble to consider: http://www.fash365.com/2014/09/how-to-wear-american-quilt-wearing.html