Wednesday 8th February 2023

I do love a pair of clunky-ass sunglasses

debbie harry sunglassesIn that way, Debbie Harry and I are exactly the same. Although likely for different reasons: she was being a rock star; I’m light sensitive (sometimes very).

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 5.59.28 PM

At times when that sensitivity flares up, sunglasses are seriously like medical equipment for me: I so rely on them that I won’t leave the house without two pairs, in case something happens to one. And because they have to meet some very precise specs—super-dark lens, wide arms—I got used to spending a lot on the right pair. It will surprise you not at all, then, to learn I still see my way to the occasional splurge, one that’s a lot more fun now I don’t have to be so circumscribed in my choices. My friend Jessica believes that everyone looks better with sunglasses on, and while I won’t go that far, I will say that the right ones can definitely make me feel a lot more together as I walk out the door.  This pair is like poof! instant Italian movie star.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.20.01 PM

I can not get enough of Karen Walker sunglasses; they are the best mashup of fashiony, goofy, and dead solid cool. This squarish number would probably combine horribly with the shape of my face, but they’re so fantastic I almost don’t care.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.24.49 PM

Big old clunky sunglasses don’t have to be dark. These are so brilliantly 80s preppy.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.56.25 PM

I actually own this pair: they may read as the most clunky of the group, but in reality they are not so big at all, which is good for those of you who worry about a really large sunglass overwhelming your face.

Posted on June 10th, 2014 15 Comments

I LOVE chunky over-sized sunglasses and the ones you’ve posted are FABulous! My daughter can wear chunky brilliantly (and does!), but, alas, I have one of those smallish faces and am reduced to diminutive frames. Kills me.

2. laura jean says:

Debbie Harry has been my style icon since I was 15.

3. NAL says:

I go through several pairs of sunglasses each year. I think I leave a trail behind me like crumbs. I can’t even image spending that type of money on sunglassess – in my case the Madewells at $55 would be a splurge.

4. joannawnyc says:

I’m ALREADY spending so much money on my prescription I can’t really swing a great pair of frames. Plus, I lose them. That said, these look fab 🙂

5. lori says:

I’m also very sensitive to the sun (my eyes are a pale yellow-y green) so I put on my sunnies as soon as I go out the door. I keep 2 pair in my purse, plus I have spares all over the place.
    My favorites are fake classic RayBan style that I bought in a grocery store for $5. 🙂

You know, it could really be important for eye health to wear these regularly. From what I’ve heard, it can prevent some bad things for which there may not be treatments, currently.

It’s easy for me to never lose mine b/c I am so uncomfortable without them that I instantly want them if I step outside. I sympathise with those who do though. How frustrating!

I have an old pair that are quite drugstore-geriactric looking (and I’m not sure the Rx is still good)(and, is it mean to say “geriatric?” I feel unsure about it, but you know the ones I mean right? They cover half your face?) and my main pair of vintage designer that if I ever break/lose, I will have to have copied. I don’t look good in very many shapes either.

• Viajera says:

And PS, in case any marketers are here, I wouldn’t buy online without at least 2 photos of a model, one facing me directly. No no no.

• y.k. says:

Those geriatric ones you are thinking of are the sunglasses recommended after cataract surgery. I thought it was a misguided senior effort to look hip but then my father in law needed them after his surgery.

• Viajera says:

Interesting, thanks! I’ve got that kind of thing in the family so that will probably be me too. Must eat more carrots.

7. I love them too. Mostly because I have a wide face. But the more protective coverage around the eye area, the better. I ain’t got no time for wrinkles.

8. y.k. says:

I too love my sunglasses, but we must be careful to sunscreen against raccoon effect.

9. Renee G. says:

I am very light sensitive, too. I also get migraines. I love big, chunky sunglasses because they help to reduce the pain.

10. GREAT piece—and love your choices. And though these are high end they have so many “less expensive versions”. Think a pair of sunglasses can make one’s day—sort of a special way to present yourself to the world. Agree we need to take care of our eyes—like our feet—-but shoes and sunglasses cannot be seriously taken as aspirin. They should be as high quality as we can afford—but ultimately they have to look GREAT!

11. 13bees says:

never splurged on sunnies until the past couple of years or so and have been having a thing with those universally-fabulous-on-everyone prada 54mm cat eyes. that said, picked up a thick (clunky!) black pair at f21 yesterday for $5.80. got my mom a pair too. a surprisingly nice selection to be had there at the moment, for whatever it’s worth.