Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Inspiration of the day

lauren hutton1

This picture of the divine Lauren Hutton has been obsessing me lately—everyone has their own notion of what constitutes effortless glamour, and for me this picture totally does it.  Part of what makes it so stunning, of course, is Ms. Hutton’s exquisite beauty, but try covering her face up with your thumb and the whole thing still works pretty great: just a denim skirt, button-down, and done.  Hutton understood the whole fashion/prep intersection before that was a whole thing, and she still does it better than just about anyone, never getting too prim, always keeping it on the loose side. I fell down a Google k-hole over the weekend looking at pictures of her both as a young model and now, and picked out some of the summer classics that seem to be cornerstones for her. They make for a pretty decent weekend packing list.

weekend

1. Bucket hat  2. Striped tee 3. Crewneck sweater (to be worn over shoulders) 4. Oversized button-down 5. Western-style chambray shirt, buttoned low as you dare 6.  Roomy white trousers 7. Old-school denim skirt 8. Safari-esque khaki blazer 9. Straw tote 10. Classic Tretons

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted on June 9th, 2014 20 Comments

1. Whoa, you nailed it with your picks. Especially with the hat, white pants and the Tretorns.

2. Suz says:

I have been slightly obsessed with her lately myself. Classic American style. I have done the same and broken down what she wears – its an ideal shopping list too. She made it through the 1970s without ever looking foolish or uncomfortable/out of place. She seems always to perfectly inhabit what she wears.

And I love tretorns! If the universe would bring back white pro-keds I would be indescribably happy – but these will do.

3. Allyn says:

This looks so much like my wardrobe, especially in terms of color. I tried to move away from quite as preppy for a while, but it’s just perfect and timeless. Easy to mix up a little.
    Also, she’s just gorgeous, even today.

4. joannawnyc says:

Change the denim skirt for shorts and add a sundress, and you’ve got my summer wardrobe, for sure.

5. kristie says:

I love this photo, too. But honestly I’m mostly just awed that “k-hole” has become a common metaphor.

6. Freda says:

A great example of how beauty is personality!

7. Grenadine says:

Love this list – I jumped on the denim shirt because it is so marked down. Does anybody have any comments on whether tretorns are comfortable? I wore them as a preppy kid in the 80s but not since. Might spring for a pair…

Love Ms. Hutton. Love these looks. And I did cover her face with my thumb––noticed how elegantly she wears the mannish shirt. And no jewels! Bare fingers, wrists and neck!

9. Caroline says:

Love it.
    Full disclosure, i was at the gap (shopping for the kids ) on sat ..good for them but usually not my scene… However I saw and grabbed up a very similar denim skirt. People always say that but in this case it’s true,…
    Been wearing it ever since…
    Slightly unsanitary…perhaps.. But it’s so easy it ridiculous..

10. Cola says:

The perfect denim skirt is SO hard to find, though this one looks pretty great. I am *this* close to dragging out my sewing machine and a pair of my son’s Levi’s and turning them into an old school denim skirt complete with the triangle patch.

11. Jeanne says:

To Grenandine: I absolutely lived in my Tretorns in the 80’s, too. Two years ago I bought a pair, and was really disappointed by the change in quality. They used to be so cushioned, and that is sadly lacking. They still look great, though.

• y.k. says:

o that’s so sad! i haven’t thought of tretorns in so long, i loved them.

• Suz says:

Boo. Well thats them off my shopping list. I really wish someone would bring back or create a low profile slim sneaker that a grownup woman can wear. I wore my last pair of pro-keds into the ground sometime in 2009. (they had a cushioned back so no blisters! Simple but hard to find)

12. Marah says:

I love Lauren Hutton. But, I’m in my 40s and have always dressed this way; I have memories of wearing khakis and pea coats as far back as middle school; I gravitate toward this style, obviously. Though, lately, I long to be one of those women who would wear a vintage print blouse, with intricately designed pants – perhaps something with a wrapped waist and peg legs, topped off with a quirky cropped jacket and a tangle of random necklaces. I went vintage shopping with my 17- year old daughter last weekend and came home with Cole Haan sneakers, a navy trench and green cashmere cardigan. Changing my style may be harder than quitting smoking. Sigh.