Sunday 20th September 2020

Meet the new kicks

slip on street style

I try to steer clear of the whole notion of athletic footwear as fashion (not always successfully) but slip-on sneakers I can fully get behind. They’re like exceptionally comfortable loafers, but so much cooler, as our friend here amply illustrates.

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 12.38.19 PM

Vince has many and varied excellent options to choose from in this category, and they have been the focal point of my personal slip-on sneaker fixation. So after much browsing and deliberating online, I finally pulled the trigger on Saturday at their Soho store and chose this woven pair. There are suede and leather versions as well, but I love how lightweight these will be come summer.

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 1.27.55 PM

Of course, a lot of you might say there’s no reason to look further than your classic Vans, and a lot of you would be right. I’d totally go for this metallic  option, even with that pesky front-and-center  branding.

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 3.42.22 PM

This snakeskin iteration is on the more fashiony side of things, but still nicely understated.

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 6.43.57 PM

There’s something about this rich charcoal suede pair from Rag & Bone that almost reminds me of desert boots.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on April 15th, 2014 17 Comments

1. Tara says:

Vince is not in my budget for sneakers, but I recently bought the black on black Vans and I have been wearing them constantly. I work from home, so dress casually all the time and these are the perfect spring shoe.

2. Cynthia Kling says:

Ms. Kim: I have to say I disagree with your thesis. Converse lace-ups in black and white always work, in my opinion

3. Annie says:

These aren’t slipons, but they are awesome: Liberty Print Vans. I have a pair and l love them.

• AmyM says:

Me too! They’re my favorites. Sad the metallic ones are sold out. I’d like to add them to my rotation.

I have two pair of slip-on Vans. Love them. AND if you wear a women’s size 7-8 or under you can buy them in kids sizes which makes them less expensive. (note: I wear a size 5 in women’s and a size 2.5 in kids Vans)

5. Larissa says:

I’m loving the runways with the sneakers and flats!
    Beautiful heels- nothing feels more put together and powerful for the client lunches, and evenings out- but for days of groceries and endless errands and kids- slip on sneakers are where it’s at!

6. Tamara says:

Been loving my gold vans and looking for a black pair…I don’t love the Vince price point so I’m thinking about the black on black checkered vans…

7. AT says:

When I was in seventh grade I saved my money to buy a pair of lavender checked Vans (my first luxury shoe purchase -$35!) I buy a new pair every summer. I never tire of them (though last summer I wondered if I was aging out of my favorite sneak.) They make me smile. They look so much better than other lace ups on me. And easy to decorate if you don’t like available prints. Those Vince ones are gorgeous, but too spendy and I like sticking to the original.

8. Leslie says:

And then there’s the ultra-basic version — Keds Champion basic slip-on. Only $45.

I have a friend who SWEARS by the VINCE, but they’re out of my range. I bought a pair of Circus by Sam Edelman, and they’re both comfy and give me the look.

10. Jozelle says:

I bought the metallic vans – took forever to find a pair in my size – love them!

When looking at the trends of both slip on athletic shoes and “birkenstock” type sandals, I prefer the originals in both. And so does my wallet 🙂

Check out the Birkenstock, patent leather, soft footbed “Arizonia” for a spot on trend. Again, took forever to find in my size, but worth the wait.

11. Jozelle says:

**” Birkenstock Arizona”

12. Jo says:

I have a pair of the Vince Mias in navy, see here:

and I absolutely love them, even though they were definitely a big splurge at 180 (on sale from 300). I like that they’re slimmer and a little more elegant than the more Vansesque styles, but they’ve still got a great casual vibe. They’ll be easy to get resoled so I think they will last a long time!

13. Mimi says:

Are the various slip ons, Vince and Vans, really comfortable without socks, or do you wind up protecting your heels with band aids?

• Suz says:

Vans are comfy. I have had no issues with blisters. Feet are particular though, so can’t say in regard to yours.

14. Suz says:

Vans – basic California cool – never go out of style. Its nice to see NY adopting this 😀

I prefer the original, both for the cost and materials. Warm weather shoes get stinky – I am not going to pay a lot for anything that takes so much abuse.

15. Barchbo says:

I’ve never worn Vans but I just ordered the metallic ones above. Can’t wait!