Monday 28th November 2022

A party in a top, part 2

Screen Shot 2013-12-12 at 10.12.11 AMLast year around this time, I wrote a post about dressing for holiday parties in which I stated that the best approach regarding this type of event is to choose a really standout top and not worry so much about the rest. As a rule, nobody notices anything but what’s going on from the waist up at big parties—something I realized after attending a crowded and frenetic holiday function in a sweater dress whose sole interesting detail existed at the hem—and felt like the sartorial equivalent of the moment all the liquor runs out. So these days I adhere to what I like to call the Party in a Top philosophy. Everybody should own at least  one party in a top, and you probably already do. But it never hurts to widen your array of options. I like this one because it looks like the soul of comfort, could just as easily be paired with jeans as dressy pants or a skirt, and—not least— has a sparkle component.

zarablackfloral

black floral is always so damn sophisticated. And also just FYI: don’t let the sheerness scare you off: it’s just styled here with an especially immodest cami.

funktional top

A party in a top doesn’t always have to make all that big of a statement:  the sexy choker neckline here speaks volumes, quietly.

boho blouse

Just the kind of very easy, very feminine but not at all prissy top I live for.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on December 12th, 2013 7 Comments

Love the first one and the last one (didn’t realize it was sheer in back!). And the other two aren’t cheesy either.

2. Tamara says:

Annnnnd, with a 30% off code at piperlime, that black blouse is on it’s way to me…

Here’s a thing that’s on my back burner. I kind of like those faux? leather leggings, as in picture 3.

I also have a firm rule against leggings without a long top that covers the heinie. No matter how nice someone else’s heinie happens to be. (Don’t worry — I don’t actually *say* anything to the *many, many* people who break this rule.) I also haven’t actually worn such an outfit in quite a while.

Then, on top of that, I also like those tall boots with the flattish heel, that happen to look really good with such a leggings outfit. Possibly even, the highest pants-related use of said boots. (Narrowly edging out, imo, the tucked-in jean.)

Yet, I don’t like it if the outfit looks sack-like, either. Plus, are those considered tacky? Are they only worn to raves? I don’t know the *connotations.* Not that it would necessarily stop me, but I’d want to be aware of them. (And this is all distinct from the leather pants issue, since I’m pretty sure you couldn’t make a legging out of real leather, ’cause how could it fit? Well maybe panels, but that’s getting into some weeds.)

• y.k. says:

i so totally agree w/ everything you said about leggings & long tops covering the heinie. i too have held my tongue on this matter.

4. fashmr paul says:

This is a brilliant observation about standout tops.I think the black floral top above is really, really nice ( as you say perhaps a fuller cami/chemise is needed to make it a bit more modest.

5. Donna says:

I agree, the top is really the most important thing, especially at a crowded party. I love all of these, but especially the floral one.
    Donna