Archive for November, 2013
- The entire alphabet the and numbers 0 through 9, hidden in the patterns of moth and butterfly wings. (Laughing Squid)
- A nifty Spotify playlist of really excellently sad songs. (Flavorwire)
- You must must must watch this thoroughly enchanting commercial for Goldie Blox, a company specializing in toys that encourage girls to build things. (People)
- There is such thing as the karaoke world championships, because of course there is. (EW)
- And finally, on this, the 50th anniversary of JFK’s assassination: a few quite moving condolence telegrams received by Jackie Kennedy— from Martin Luther King, Duke Ellington and others. (Slate)
I found all of these with the guidance of my friend Dolly, who is vegan right down to her leatherette jacket. Wouldn’t you kind of wear all of them?
Thanks to a single very unfortunate, highly zealous pre-adolescent attempt at tweezing, my eyebrows have always been on the scant side. And while this has never pleased me, it has also never really obsessed me: like many women, I’ve got a gift for pinpointing physical imperfections, and this one always fallen squarely on my B list. Lately, however, the situation’s become a little more dire: as the years march on, it turns out, our lashes and brows naturally thin, and it’s gotten to the point where some kind of boost feels necessary. So not long ago, I marched over to Sephora and purchased this pencil/brush combo from Anastasia. Its very slim point makes application minimally more time-consuming but virtually mistake-proof, and it really is something to see what a difference it makes. Just make sure when choosing a shade to go with your hair’s natural hue or, even better, one lighter. Never darker, unless what you’re after is a one-way ticket to Joan Crawfordsville.
- A desolate Detroit neighborhood turned outsider art project. (Slate)
- Do enjoy this look back at the many and varied one-hit wonders of 1998. (Vulture)
- Nothing like the twisted tale of some corrupt zillionaire televangelists to get the day started right. (Daily Mail)
- Nearly 50 years after it was first recorded, Bob Dylan has released a music video for “Like a Rolling Stone,” and it’s all interactive and a statement on our media-obsessed times, etc. (Mashable)
- Zoolander imitates life. (Time)
I’ve put together a couple of holiday gift guides—at Shopping’s My Cardio and Go Fug Yourself—and you might want to check them both out, because I think they turned out pretty fun, and because now I’m likely all holiday gift guided-out and might not be producing more holiday gift guide goodness here. Although I might be throwing in the odd impossibly perfect gift in now and again. Like for instance: the best Christmas tree ornament ever.
Well, why not a flamingo print in the middle of November, I ask you?