Monday 18th November 2019

Wednesday links

banksy NY residency

• Heads up, New Yorkers! Legendary stealth graffitti artist Banksy has arrived in our city for the month of October and has already gotten down to business—here’s his first piece, which you can locate on the Lower East Side on Allen Street.
  • The Twitter headquarters are a touch on the twee side, y’all. But I’m digging the roof garden.
  • Just for the record, in case you were curious: I thought this SNL spoof of Girls had an unnecessarily thick streak of mean running through it, but dear lordy was it dead-on.(Kottke)
  • Your morning weep, Grown Men Cry edition. (Time)
  • Jimmy Kimmel sent a crew out to interview people on the street as to whether they preferred the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare (which are, of course, the same thing) and the results are as horrifyingly priceless as you might imagine/fear. (YouTube)

Posted on October 2nd, 2013 6 Comments

1. sprylie says:

why’d you think the girls spoof was mean? this coming from a person who has seen only one episode of girls (just don’t have HBO). I guess I was hoping to be told why to go find it and pay to it.

2. Maria says:

I thought the Girls spoof was pretty hilarious – and yes, a lot of the stuff that 24 year old women in the US stress out about would seem rather infantile to many people. I say this as someone who, even in her late 40s, sometimes wastes a ridiculous amount of time worrying about her hair.

I think it is good for people who don’t have real problems to realize it, so they can be grateful and have perspective, and maybe be inspired to help other people.

At the same time, there is a ton of sexism around still, so this standard isn’t applied equally. Often, men’s problems are considered real, and ours are imaginary.

But mostly it was really funny. My guess is, even in war-torn countries, a lot of the time, people are worried about the daily things, insofar as possible. And there is always someone who is worse off. I find that overly positive people are hard to get close to, because they don’t want to hear about the things that are about 95% of life. Anyhoo.

4. Leah says:

I looooved the GIRLS spoof. Blerta! Brilliant. (And I also love GIRLS the show.)

I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the Jimmy Kimmel clip. This govt shutdown and rejection of ACA by the right is making me verrry tense.

KIM: a request/challenge that may bore you tears, but I’ll put it forth anyway: could you do a round-up of comfortable (good soles, well made) flats that are also good looking? My go to brand for this (flats I can really walk to work in, I mean, book it) has been ME TOO. But they have slipped and aren’t putting out the good stuff anymore. You introduced me to the Worishofer sandals that I wore all summer. So I thought why not ask Kim about flats? That is your mission if you choose to accept it. 😉

Leah in Boston

• Viajera says:

Leah, I second, but could we define “flat” to include up to a 1 inch heel or so? Whaddaya think?

5. Leah says:

Oh yes, Viajera, most def!