Monday 18th November 2019

Tuesday links

capitol roof

• Aaaaaand we’ve got a shutdown. Here’s a pretty comprehensive link roundup of stories on just precisely what that means. (Daily Beast)
  • In 1977, a 23 year-old Elvis Costello got banned from Saturday Night Live for over a decade. Here’s the clip that did it, and why.  (Open Culture)
  • The first lady of Texas just came out as pro-choice, sort of. (The Texas Tribune)
  • Natalie Portman is really smart here on the topic of Hollywood and its extremely limited definition of what makes a female character, or her story, feminist. (The Frisky)
  • And finally: who doesn’t enjoy checking out footage of celebrities in TV commercials from before they were famous? (Laughing Squid)

Posted on October 1st, 2013 6 Comments

Love that Ms. Portman is so smart.

Love the raw look to the Elvis Costello video and it made me long for interesting music.

My muther always says, “If you can’t say something nice about someone don’t say anything at all.” So I will refrain from posting a comment about Mrs. Perry.

NPR has run some pretty interesting “stuff” on the government shut-down from both sides of the asile including some clips from an interview with Pres. Obama. Well worth the listen on podcast.

2. Liz says:

What I can’t stand is writers who can’t come up with legit reason for having a flawed, complex lead female character other than that she has an actual mental illness (Carrie on Homeland or Sonya on the Bridge, e.g.). It just seems like a cop out in trying to get the audience to empathize with a sometimes unlikeable woman. Why can’t they simply have issues or act selfishly or irrationally like most people?

Natalie’s right. And it’s extra annoying when female toughness is shown in totally stereotypical male fantasy ways, like, “Oh, she’s tough so she wears a leather jacket and drives like a racecar driver.” Or “Oh, she has one night stands…what a cool chick.” In this age of television with such incredible, complex male characters, it’s just so much more insulting that women aren’t getting the same treatment.

• Maria says:

I think women are doing better on television than in the movies, where I am hard pressed to name a female character in a recent major movie that seemed “real” to me.

3. Linda Carlson says:

“I want women and men to be able to be full-time parents or full-time working people or any combination of the two,” says Natalie Portman. Is she going to turn over her paycheck to the two full-time parents? She also says that a movie about a “weak, vulnerable woman can be feminist if it shows a real person we can empathize with.” Well, if the filmmaker is a world-class misogynist (such creatures do exist), I don’t see how my genuine empathy for a weak, vulnerable, believable woman would qualify the director’s movie as “feminist.” (One can care, after all, about a character for whom a movie shows only contempt.) Not so impressed, I guess, with Natalie the thinker. Very much enjoy Kim’s daily links, though.

4. Caroline says:

Elvis Costello was so punk rock and fresh faced.
    Or should say refreshingly original….
    Loved it.

5. Mavjen says:

Thanks for Elvis Costello link. Radio Radio still sounds amazing to me and loved that performance. Also, great to see the Beastie Boys. RIP Adam.