Archive for September, 2013
- In honor of Breaking Bad’s (very) impending series finale: some super-special fan arts & crafts for your delectation. (Mental Floss)
- To each her own. And yet. (The Frisky)
- South Korea just had its first gay wedding, and it was a big fat crazy disco party. (Time)
- These 20 bits of wisdom from Jeff Bezos are, as one might expect, half brilliant and half soul-crushing. (Kottke)
- You know I can’t resist a good Colbert bit. Here is is holding forth on the subject of his Emmy win. My boyfriend Jon Stewart makes an appearance. (Vulture)
Right this very second, this Ulla Johnson dress is my everything—and not just for the excellent opposed-chevron print with its really quite fetching color palette. But also because it’s got the kind of flattering cut that not nearly enough dresses have these days—fitted where most of us are the smallest, then flaring out, all feminine.
Surely my super-sparkly new Chanel eyeshadow—which goes on more slate grey than the pitch black you see here—is meant for the most seriously dramatic of of evening looks. But I think it is better utilized lending glamour to life’s more pedestrian moments. Like just now, for instance, when I felt positively bewitching here on the sofa ordering new orthotics online. And also: as I contemplate my upcoming afternoon trip to the pet food store, I feel the possibilities for fantabulousness are positively endless.
- This Colombian artist makes life-sized sculptures of birds out of paper. I think they are very pretty. (Smithsonian)
- On the occasion of its 20th anniversary, ten little-known facts about everyone’s favorite 70s stoner comedy and brilliant pop culture snapshot Dazed and Confused. (Flavorwire)
- This, from my friend and ace runner Samantha Peale: what’s even more amazing than the fact that this Utah mother of two was the overall winner in a recent marathon—that’s right, not just among women, but everyone in competition —is that she only started racing in 2007. (Runner’s World)
- From the same country that brought us vagina bread: butt pudding. (Laughing Squid)
- And finally: the lookbook for Isabel Marant’s collaboration with H&M has been leaked. Have at it. (Racked)
A couple of years ago, I bought myself a pair of 14k gold hoop earrings; they’re quite delicate and beautiful, and I receive compliments whenever I wear them, which is almost never, because I can’t without being terrified they’ll they’ll fall off and I’ll have lost yet another pricey, beloved adornment and be heartbroken. So I picked up a brass pair that looks pretty much exactly like these, and like them even better: the others were so thin they got a little lost, but the new ones have more of a presence, and the way they go from flat to round (there must be an actual term for that) somehow makes them just ever so much cooler. Plus, I’m pretty sure they improve my appearance. Seriously! Whenever I wear them, people tell me how good I look. I got ravishing the other night at a party. From a woman, but still.*
*A joke, people.
I’ve always believed that one reason so many of us have the habit of pulling our sweater sleeves way down past our knuckles is because it provides a tiny little hit of back-under-the-covers-ish security in the middle of our stressful days. I feel similarly about the allure of dresses with pockets, and am currently loving this fantastic little number from Allsaints, which, in addition to its other stated charms, excels at that whole classic-with-an-unexpected-twist thing I’m always going on about.