Monday 17th February 2020

Wednesday links

DV

• If you’ve got some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket, why not fly over to England, where some very nice clothes once owned by Diana Vreeland are scheduled to be auctioned off? (Telegraph)
  • Judgy, judgy. (EW)
  • Well, this makes perfect sense. (The Frisky)
  • Is coffee the enemy of creativity? (Smithsonian)
  • And finally: Let’s take a tour of the narrowest house in New York City! (Daily Mail)
Posted on June 19th, 2013 7 Comments

1. Jana says:

Re Melissa Etheridge’s comments: it’s so irresponsible to suggest that if only you would “get the acid out” of your diet and keep good thoughts, you would never have to worry about cancer. There’s no way Ms Etheridge can know what factors caused her breast cancer.

Further, even within the small population of mutation carriers, it’s possible that there are different risks–some may give rise to more aggressive cancers, or be more or less responsive to lifestyle and environmental factors. The research is still in its infancy.

Ms Etheridge is lucky enough to have her mother into adulthood…I saw my mother suffer and die from breast cancer in her 40’s, when I was a teenager. Mom was vigilant, ate well, & caught her cancer early–a Stage 1, and yet she still died. Just like her mother. And her grandmother.

When I discovered I had the BRCA mutation, I made the same choice as Ms Jolie. I don’t know if it was “brave,” but neither was it the most fearful choice. It was realistic, and not dependent on magical thinking….But that’s just me. I respect your choices, Ms Etheridge. Please don’t dump on mine.

2. Maria says:

While I respect that everyone has an opinion, it drives me insane when celebrities like Melissa Etheridge start spouting off pseudo-science and random beliefs without any sort of supporting evidence.

We actually understand what causes cancer pretty well – and yes, it is genetic. It is caused by genetic mutations in somatic cells that affect the normal cell growth cycle. And yes, many things can and do affect the likelihood of one of those mutations happening in one of your cells and causing a cancer. Like UV radiation, pre-existing mutations (such as BRCA1 and BRCA2), oxidizing radiation, etc.

I wish Americans were more fond of logical thinking, of science, of evidence-based learning. And much less fond of magical thinking, of hearsay, of intuition and “gut-feelings”.

And I wish celebrities would think a bit before they spoke.

3. AmyM says:

This would have been a really good time for Melissa Etheridge to follow the “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” rule.

4. belle says:

I hate this type of debate. It becomes about character assassination as opposed to the issues at hand.
    I don’t agree with you’re labeling this link as “judgy-judgy” either. It powers the catty responses and is of dubious feminist merit.
    Come on Kim.
    Rise to the occasion.

• KimFrance says:

Belle, I’m happy to take my lumps when I’ve got it coming, but I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one.Possibly I mislabeled the link—the tone was catty when it should have expressed the all-out horror that I feel over Melissa Etheridge’s words. They displayed a deep ignorance of the facts and a stunning lack of empathy for the many thousands of women who’ve made the very difficult—not “fearful,”for crying out loud—choice to have preventative mastectomies. She should be ashamed of herself.

5. daisyj says:

Damn, I really liked Melissa Etheridge. And I get that when something random and awful happens to you– like a cancer diagnosis– it can be comforting to feel like you can take control of it by doing things like changing your diet, meditating, etc. But promoting that kind of pseudo-science gibberish about a potentially life-threatening disease is terrible, and judging someone’s difficult (and well-informed) decision because it doesn’t fit with your self-serving worldview is absolutely appalling.