Saturday 1st October 2022

What’s this?

everygirl3

Why, it’s Casa Girls of a Certain Age! The very entertaining and smart website for working ladies, The Everygirl, has published a Q&A with me about my long and varied career, accompanied by pictures of my place, my dog, my not-at-all-camera-ready bookshelves, and whatnot. Please do make me feel loved and have a look.

Posted on March 6th, 2013 48 Comments

1. Love Dare says:

A really nice interview, good luck with dog training! 😉

Lovely interview. (Womb chairs are awesome.) According to my daughter (who works with rescue dogs) the key to training your dog is cheese. Tiny little cubes of cheese––best reward ever.

• Sue says:

Leftover rotisserie chicken is good too. As soon as they hear the tupperware open – everyone is good as gold.

3. ag says:

Great interview!

4. Lisa Wallace says:

Please keep writing and rockin’!

5. lisa says:

Of course you read Frankie. Love it.

6. Adrien says:

Oh, your apartment is so cool! And your dog is adorable. And I need to know more about the Joey Ramone sign.

7. Meegan says:

What an elegant zone you have. Always interesting to see where people sit and do what they do, especially when it’s at home. Yours shows real signs of life – like it’s a good place to spend time. And it was nice to read about how you got there.

8. Margie says:

Terrific interview and really lovely apartment. Congratulations…

9. Dianne says:

Loved your home-digging the black fireplace. Your bookshelves are just fine!Great interview.
    I remember 7 Days- I read it every week. I was sad when it closed.

10. Cora says:

Love your apartment — and the Joey Ramone sign (once stood behind him in line at the Astor Place Kmart — one of my top 3 celeb sightings ever!).

A need to know question — do I see that you layered a tribal over a natural fiber rug in one of your rooms, and do you like it??? Please tell!

• KimFrance says:

Yes, in the living room the entire floor is covered by sisal rugs from Pottery Barn (their basic, cheapo version) and then I plopped the rug on top of that. It was a decorator tip and I love it–it totally warms the room up.

11. amorris says:

Open flowing apartment and open hearted free flowing person. Really enjoyed the interview.

12. Suzanne says:

Lovely interview! Confirms the fact that we are somehow connected: First, we have the same birthday and now I find out we have the same Rag & Bone shirt. I mean, how often does that happen???

13. Liz Kennedy says:

What a wonderful piece. I just read it while sipping my morning coffee. Love you place, especially your bookshelf and desk area (mine is a cluttered MESS). Keep up the good work–I just love your blog. p.s. love that you are wearing wedge sneakers. I am thinking of getting a pair myself and I am on the fence. Yours look awesome, so I just might have to give it a go….

14. mims says:

i think your bookshelves look honest and a bit erudite. Thats a good thing in my landscape.

15. Liz Kennedy says:

*your* (typo)

16. SueM says:

Feel the love.
    Words of wisdom, hard won I think.
    Your bookshelves are perfect, don’t change a thing.

17. Lorimac says:

I am so happy to see you committed to the blue suede shoes! And that you looked so comfortable in them! Altogether a lovely article.

And I had totally forgotten 7 Days which I LOVED when I was living in NYC.

18. Kate says:

Cool article! I just left my magazine job for the world of nonprofits, and I loved reading about your experiences. Also, the orange and pink ottomans are lovely.

19. Dahling says:

I NEED to know where you got that amazing silver cabinet.

• KimFrance says:

It’s mirrored and old, and I got at a store on Bleecker Street, around ten years ago when Bleecker Street was still full of fusty old antique shops.

20. Holly says:

You have Vitsoe shelves! We do to! We LOVE them – I am always so so happy when I look at my shelves. Also, I personally dislike the new trend of organizing books by color, so I’m glad yours aren’t.
    Lovely home.

21. joannawnyc says:

That was really fun to read, so, thanks! Also, I adore your pink and orange rung and matching Moroccan poufs! (though I somehow sort of want to spell it as “pouves.”)

22. Thanks so much for being a part of our site, Kim! It’s an honor to share your story. Cannot wait to see this site grow and flourish – everything you touch turns to gold.

23. Jessica says:

Dear Kim,

Your home is beautiful.

Your mirrored chest of drawers is AMAZING.

Jessica

24. Andrea Goldman says:

You looked great — loved the wedge high tops!

See, now that was an interesting interview. I never thought Lucky was really about shopping. It had so many stylish and slightly oddball people featured in it. True, they were generally all young, thin and camera-ready but who’s complaining? Who else is going to try to wear harem pants, really? And being a good boss is righteous.

Mom jeans should not be sold to *anybody.* They should not be manufactured. This should be an easy fix. There is no excuse. They aren’t more comfortable, and they hurt everyone else’s eyes.

The pictures looked lovely. I think, Kim, you had said you weren’t good at home design? Big liar. I hope there is a junk drawer hidden in there somewhere, or I’d think you were an alien. But it can be a secret. See? we’re aspirational up in here.

26. Maggie says:

Where’s that orange pencil cup, lady?

27. Jessica says:

I LOVE your bookshelves. They are the bookshelves of a person who clearly actually reads the books on them.

28. Michelle says:

Hi Kim,

You, your home and pup are absolutely lovely! Your place has a cozy and serene vibe, but still very up to date. My favorite picture was actually the bookshelves. Thank you for not color coding your books! ; )

Love your blog!

29. Diane says:

So great to read this article — lots of admiration and respect coming your way! So fun to see some items previously debated in your posts! And I agree with everyone else — your bookshelves are marvelous and look very lived in — the only way to go. Congrats!

30. Audrey says:

Love the interview and the photos (you look great!). I’m not seeing side tables next to the sofa, though ;).

Congrats!

31. gablesgirl says:

Really dig you and GoaCA more every day

32. Very nice feature! And I am with Audrey– looks like you haven’t ponied up to a side table yet
    Lynn from Decor Arts Now

33. Trish says:

HIllary and Aidan! Yes!!

34. A. says:

I love that green painting of the puppy above your mantle. Reminds me a lot of my favorite doggie ever. Who is the artist?

35. Sue says:

Lovely 🙂 Though the typo (whit instead of wit) in the first paragraph is driving me nuts. Sorry.

Your bookshelves are real and not arranged as a prop 🙂 And the rainy photo is wonderful – simultaneously cozy and mysterious.

I see your pup is a fan of skinnys too 🙂

36. Sue says:

Sorry about all the smilies – in type they don’t come across as insane….and then they become round and yellow. Yikes.

37. Michelle says:

Cracking up over Sue’s comment! Where is a like button when you need one?

38. FV says:

Your apartment is so cheerful. I’m so glad to see you rocking the wedge sneakers. I tried a pair on and liked them, but wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. Now I’m sorry I let my ambivalence about age appropriate dressing rule out those cool kicks. Never again. You look great Kim!

39. Kiki says:

Thanks for sharing. Great interview.

40. Chris S. says:

7 Days! A blast from the past. I’d get that and Paper in those days, along with Vogue and, later, Mirabella. Mag junkie.

41. You’d better sleep with one eye open, because I’m coming for that sofa.