Tuesday 19th January 2021

Cold comforts

Screen shot 2013-02-07 at 12.31.13 PM

My friend Cynthia lives upstate in an extremely cozy on the inside,  Ice Storm on the outside  midcentury house in the woods. A pretty country hike is yours for the taking simply by walking out the front door; she’s got the kind of garden that makes you think it’s not too late to take up gardening; and the only sound you hear at night is absolutely nothing. I envy it all enormously and frequently—except  in the wintertime. There’s nothing quite so bleak to me as the beautiful, verdant countryside in the shriveled up, nasty old cold, when the snow gets as un-fresh and as gray as the sky.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 8.54.30 PM

None of that seems to bother Cynthia so much, although yesterday on the phone (Cynthia still likes a phone call; so excellently 20th century of her) she did share her desire for a nice, bright season-defying handbag. I’ve always loved the idea of bright bags, but when it comes to making purchases, I almost always return to neutrals, if  for no reason other than versatility. The only real exception I make are members of the blue family: it’s a color that can both stand out and blend in. Like this J Crew number, for instance: its  nice purply overtones remind me of T. Anthony luggage, which is never a bad thing.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.15.35 PM

Get rid of the tassles and wear the big plate that reads COACH on the inside (only, that is, if you share my distaste for logos) and you’ve got blue/black colorblock chic for days.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.18.43 PM

It’s definitely on the casual side, but there’s something quite witty about a leather version of the ubiquitous Baggu bag.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.28.10 PM

Just a much more reasonably priced version of a fancy-pants shape.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 8.57.33 PM

OK, this is straight up purple, but it’s a really good, rich purple, and the hobo shape is so classic that you can totally rationalize the purchase on the grounds of I’ll-wear-it-forever.

Tags: , , ,
Posted on February 7th, 2013 9 Comments

1. frances says:

The Baggu in, I don’t know, tangerine? Gold? may well be my end-of-the-school-year present to myself this year. I love having a bright accessory and wearing it as if it were a neutral.

2. cynthia kling says:

There is nothing like the genius of KF. Nothing. I was sick and tired of black/brown/gray and had been searching and searching for a bright spot in my wardrobe — this is it: the perfect blue bag which will effortlessly go with my dark and safe winter coat and then later all my summer tees. Pink tee, blue bag – great.

Oh thank you goddess!

3. AmyM says:

I am currently carrying a deep cobalt bordering on teal patent Coach satchel and it’s my favorite bag ever. Also garners a ton of compliments, which is always lovely.

4. daisyj says:

I love a bright purse, but at the moment I’m carrying an army green Derek Lam one that totally functions as a neutral. It also has useful and cleverly-angled pockets that I like so much that I have avoided switching it out for ages now, regardless of the season.

5. mims says:

you so nailed it with that purple hobo bag. If you can’t pay your rent, you could always crawl inside that and sleep there, so a multitasking bag that is a must own.

Love them all. I sometimes use a bright pink Kate Spade bag (with nary a logo!) as my neutral. Always lifts my spirits.

7. Carol White says:

I love a “bright” in a bag. Unfortunately, in a weak moment a bought a blue Prada. Way too expensive, but it is gorgeous and will last forever. It better. Not doing that again.

8. liz says:

The purple is the best. I see it going with any color outfit/shoe – light or darkk. Also it is casual yet dressy.

9. mslewis says:

I love bright colors in winter. Currently, my two fav winter bags are lipstick red and bright orange. Cheers me up whilst walking through the snow. I do like that first blue bag above. Nice color.