Thursday 1st October 2020

Morning links

• The Coen brothers are developing a TV series with FX based on their 1996 movie Fargo. And despite my previously articulated thoughts regarding the unholy nature messing with the classics,  I actually think this one could totally work.
  • On the other hand: Glee never, ever needed to make this happen to one of my favorite Hole songs. (Vulture)
  • Three guesses what takes the #1 spot on this countdown of the top 50 high school movies of all time. (EW)
  • Jane Mayle has created a capsule collection of  handbags for Club Monaco, which you can check out here.
  • Victoria’s Secret is included a “Sexy Little Geisha” lingerie set—complete with chopsticks and a fan—in their new collection.  Which has, as one might imagine, landed them in a bit of hot water. (Styleite)
Posted on September 25th, 2012 12 Comments

1. Leah S. says:

Gotta say, not happy to hear this news about Fargo being turned into a TV show–even by the Coen brothers themselves. But I applaud your lack of cynicism on this matter!

2. LL says:

F/X did not bring us Mad Men or Breaking Bad. AMC did!

3. Julia says:

My eyes!! Make this Glee thing stop.

4. Tanya says:

I am just happy I’m not the only one who loves Celebrity Skin.

5. amy says:

Has anyone ever made it to #1 on an Internet slideshow that had 50 slides? I’m usually game for about 10 slides but 50? I will never know what the top teen movie was, alas.

• Viajera says:

I hate that too! I assume they do it b/c they somehow make money per click.

As a refreshing change, the Club Monaco slideshow was short, and loaded quickly. The bags aren’t my sort of thing but I can see why other people would like them.

6. Trish says:

Someone else tell me they’re thrilled to see “Just One of the Guys” on that Top 50 list!

7. Kiki says:

Love the entire list of teen highschool movies. LOVE. My favorite genre

Re Victoria’s Secret – I might need to call b.s. I can see why Japanese people *might* be offended, but not Asians in general. Geishas are specific to Japan, as far as I know, and what immediately occurred to me was, how would anyone know what they had on under those kimonos anyway?

As to what geishas may or may not be doing, or have been doing, privately, I am not so convinced either way. But that at least is an empirical question, to which there must be an answer.

Having said that, wearing foofy lingerie is not the same as being a prostitute in the first place, so I don’t know that it all adds up. VS is selling underwear, people. Underwear! Get over it.

Now, we can probably all agree that the whole Asian-women-are-submissive thing is a) complete horsepucky!!!, and b) offensive, but I’m not seeing that here. It’s an underwear ad.

Am I wrong?