Saturday 4th April 2020

No hippie chicks

For the past couple of seasons now, I have come to rely upon Raquel Allegra to make at least one fantastically tempting tie-dye top that I will have to force myself not to buy. Because as much as I’d like to think I could look all cool-girl in a tie-dyed Raquel Allegra top, I’m not nearly cool enough for that, and would instead just come off like some sad hippie-girl-come-lately instead of the creative/slick/every-so-slightly-rockerish chick that I’d imagine Allegra designs for.

And actually that’s OK—or at least it is after my inevitable heart-rending struggle. I accept, and in fact quite enjoy, where I fit in to the style landscape these days. And yet. Just look at the excellent sleeve detail on this one, and how it fades to black, which is a lovely and sophisicated touch. And the clean, high neckline,  too—which one wouldn’t expect on a top like this, but which totally works.

Tags: ,
Posted on August 17th, 2012 6 Comments

1. Jennifer says:

I remember tie-dying my own shirts back in the day, and they didn’t look this cool. That being said, I’d feel foolish in tie-dye today.

2. Carol White says:

I think this one looks very fashionable. I’d definitely wear it with a black leather pencil skirt.

3. Robbi says:

This top is a classic. Gorgeous pattern just happens to be tie-dye. I say go for it!

4. CW says:

It’s hard for me to wear tie dyed shirts without feeling like I am ‘standing out in a crowd’ but this one surely makes me want to buy!

5. Dianne says:

I know how you feel. I just turned 50 and things I’ve always loved and looks I’m drawn seem wrong for my current life.

When I was a radio dj/club dj/indie rocker band manager I could have worn this shirt without a problem. Now, I’d feel wrong in it.

Can’t blame the clothes. Its just how we think of our selves now.

6. Traci says:

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it. Oh yeah… Im one of those girls 🙂 Rock on