Friday 4th December 2020

Weigh in, please

Is Nail Art on grown women ever OK?

If we all agree to ignore 50 Shades of every Goddamned thing, do you think we can make it go away?

I just bought some fresh fava beans at the greemnarket. How should I cook them?

Posted on July 11th, 2012 46 Comments

1. Jamie says:

I kind of hate the nail art idea. I don’t think I will ever regret sticking with a nice neutral or red nail. I sometimes do the one nail random color thing, but all the ombre, squiggle, bow tie, etc. nails are a bit much for me.

On the other two questions, I am not your girl for any advice. I haven’t read the book or ever eaten fava beans.

2. Laura says:

Nail art only if an artist does it, as in at a gallery not a salon

I wish I could make the 50 shades go away for you

And I need to try Fava beans so let us know how they turn out

3. j says:

Some of the Sally Hansen nail art stickers are ok, but on short nails only. The nail claws on that site you linked are scary as hell.

Here are a couple of options for fava beans. Blanch and peel the beans first then…
    1. Poach about 75% of the peeled beans in olive oil over low heat for about 10 minutes. Then put the poached beans, reserved raw beans, and oil in a food processor, add salt and pepper, and puree. Add more olive oil if necessary to make it creamy. Spread over crostini and top with black pepper, shaved pecorino, and a few drops of truffle oil.
    2. Favas are really good combined with mashed avocado as well. Add salt & pepper (the crunchy Maldon salt is great), plus some kind of good acid: lemon juice, white wine vinegar or the like.

4. Amy says:

I’m over the nail art. It seemed kind of fun at first, but it’s gotten out of hand (no pun intended). It’s a non-issue for me as I have neither the nails nor the patience to try do it.
    Couldn’t agree more on the 50 Shades nonsense. I sincerely hope they cast unknowns in the film, because I’m predisposed to hating anything associated with it.
    The only thing I know about fava beans is that they pair well with liver and chianti.

5. Violet says:

Well, the nail art in the photo above is making my eyes bleed, but in general I don’t mind it on grown women. A friend used those Lee stick-on nail polish strips in an all over, small floral print and I thought her nails looked really cute. I guess I prefer nail art that is more subtle.

Not to worry, it will be 50 Fades of Away before long.

Sauteed/pan fried with olive oil, a bit of garlic, and onion? Sounds good to me but I really have no idea.

6. Eve says:

Grown women.

Hrmm… I get all sorts of rabid about what grown women can and cannot do.

I really hate ageism.

7. Maude Stone says:

Nail art – Yes. Why not?

100 Shades – I have blocked this and Twilight out of my consciousness (la la la la I can’t heeeeeeaaarrr you), so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Fava Beans – Mark Bittman always has the answer!

8. Turks says:

I’m with Eve, let the ladies of all ages rock what they want… HOWEVER, to quote the last sentence of the article she just posted…

“Tacky can happen at any age. Good taste is timeless. Fashion is fleeting but style is forever.”

So on a personal note, I think most nail art is tacky and usually in poor taste. The end.

9. Jacky says:

Gawd, I hope so!

With a nice Chianti, of course.

10. déjà pseu says:

Not a fan of nail art, but that has nothing to do with the age of the wearer.

11. blackbird says:

No to the nail art.
    I am doing my level best to ignore 50 effing shades of everything (though the temptation to joke about my hair and wardrobe is ever present).
    I’m happy to eat the fava beans but have no advice as to the preparation of them.

12. Rosemary says:

No, No, can’t go wrong with OO, garlic and/or shallots, crushed red pepper quick saute.

13. Erin says:

1. Without bad taste, the rest of us don’t have good taste.
    2. Let’s try.
    3. With mint!

14. Bex says:

Nail art is never okay on anyone over 12
    I am doing my best to ignore
    50 Shades

15. Tina says:

1. NO

2. Must ignore, is there any other choice. I want to stop seeing facebook updates from people announcing that they are reading it. Keep it to yourself.

3. I made it recently with favas from my CSA share.Try this recipe:

(btw, all three topics thrown together are why I LOVE this blog)

16. Sharon says:

I’m not going to answer your questions, I’m just here to tell you that I laughed out loud reading the post. I have a huge girl crush on you because you’re wicked funny.

17. shefferman says:

1. nail art — hell, maybe!
    2. pleeeeeeeeasssssssse!
    3. remove from outer pods. boil until they’re on the firm side of tender. plunge into ice water. let cool. peel. meanwhile, dice an almost equal amount of radishes. toss favas, radishes, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper, and a few strips of chiffonade-ed mint. chill thoroughly. serve with fish. seriously. heaven.

18. CoudreMode says:

Nail Art – why the hell not? As Andy Warhol said, “Art is a man’s name”

Nail art? Isn’t that an oxymoron?

20. enilorac says:

Fava beans! they are delicious when sauteed in olive oil. sprinkle with chile flakes and lemon. simple and so good.

21. Kelly O says:

Nail art – I can appreciate a subtle ombre, or something that does not scream “my fifteen year old stepdaughter with too much time on her hands” – and that’s for any age really. But when I see gobs of detail I wonder how you came to have that much free time at home or at the salon. (And then I wonder if you do your own dishes, because mine never last once they touch Dawn.)

Fifty Shades – I read an excerpt of the fan fiction upon which this is pretty much copied and was underwhelmed. I keep hoping it will go away. And I do all I can to at least point people in the direction of well-written books whenever possible.

Fava beans – no idea. Although I appreciate the Silence of the Lambs comments, because that’s immediately where my brain goes (pardon the unintentional pun.)

22. moma says:

Agreed, tacky, tacky, tacky!

I never thought I’d read Fifty Shades, but I did and liked it!

Fava beans-what are they?

23. Corrin says:

I always wonder who the hell has time for nail art?

24. Martine says:

Grill the favas! http://bit.ly/POZVLX

25. diane says:

if you have a high school diploma NO NEVER, that being said especially in summer when strangers see you feet, two different shades of the same color on hands and feet are a chic alternative to looking like bad refinery 29 diy project, I love my 16 yearly niece and her wacky nails for the record, she keeps them short and funky and it does make me smile every time i see her, diane

26. kitty bowe says:

Shell. Steam. Butter. Salt. Pepper. Yummy.

27. casey says:

a regular hors d’ at our house: peeled fava beans (smaller is better) left raw–topped with crumbled feta or goat cheese, drizzled with best olive oil, then liberally seasoned with salt, pepper and chopped fresh oregano or marjoram. Serve with toothpicks.

Nigella Lawson loves the fava bean bruschetta from River Cafe in London–pretty sure the recipe is on-line somewhere. Google is your friend.

28. Paula says:

Hate the nail art. Looks ghetto.

Love 50 shades. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. 😉

• PhotoGirl says:

I really resent the use of the word “ghetto” for everything that people find tacky.

• Circosan says:

It does look ghetto!! Ugh! Looks like she’s trying too hard. Nail bling etc. is just too much! Understated is way hotter in all aspects

29. Wendy says:

After removing them from the pod, don’t forget to peel each fava bean (you can boil them briefly to make that easier). Saute in olive oil with green garlic and quartered fresh artichoke hearts for the most delicious vegetable dish ever!

30. Kim | howtolovethisworld.com says:

Nail art: Not sure-I have an appt at a Japanese nail art place here in SF and am going back and forth about whether I should keep it. The ombre looks kind of subtly cool.

50SOG: Saw a woman just starting it in the airport the other day and felt embarrassed for her…

Favas: Some great ideas here. Mint is always good with them, I think. My neighbor who used to work at Chez Panisse recently took over my kitchen and combined twice peeled favas, morels,cream and chervil to go over pasta. To. Die.

31. PhotoGirl says:

While I don’t like the nail art shown in this particular photo, I have seen (and worn!) some that is quite gorgeous. I’m not a fan of “should-ing” on people. If someone, of any age, likes nail art, who am I to tell her not to wear it? Some people think I “should” cut my very long hair simply because my 40th birthday has come and gone.
    I tell them two things:
    1.) Not gonna happen
    2.) Something that can’t be printed here.

I’m too old to be a mean girl. Or a snob.

Nail art: case by case. The photo above? No, no, no, and not because of age. Yellow can be great, but in small doses and generally, not as a cosmetic.

But some of the link photos, I like. Those different colored French manis are okay. It just depends.

Fava beans: y’all are making me hungry!!! Too bad you have to peel them, that sounds like a pain.

33. Kristin says:

Nail art: In small doses and with pretty tasteful execution (color blocking, reverse French with color, etc.) I think it rocks. The example above is, um…nope.

I am hoping for 50 Shades of Peace and Quiet soon. Those books are so horribly written, I can’t get past the first one. However, I will say that if Henry Cavill gets signed to play Christian Grey, I will be the first in line for a movie ticket.

Fava beans are pretty awesome, but I have no idea how to cook them. The Dean and Deluca site and cookbooks have amazing recipes. I’d start there. xo

34. Kim says:

Yuck.
    Yuckier.
    Yum…but I’ve only had them in restaurants.

35. diane says:

yuck

36. Lyn says:

No to the nail art.
    No. No. No.

37. Haley J. says:

Nail is art is a total no-go.

38. WCT says:

And just in case the message did not get through:
    no to nail art– looks cheap to me and how easily will it get ruined and then really look bad?
    50sog: one huge step foward for guys into violence and control over women, one huge step back for young women who should be stronger and more capable than buying into that crap.
    p.s. I did read the first book to see what it was all about. Helpless virgin meets mega-rich guy and does anything he wants… Sigh.

39. 1. Chacun a son gout.

2. Can we start an alternate movement to replace 50 Shades with some erotica that is actually well-written? It’s not the genre’s fault that 50 sucks.

3. Can’t help ya here.

40. Circosan says:

In a word, no.
    I have to admit, when I see it online, in print or even on young girls (early to mid-20s) nail art looks cute, sometimes pretty. But when I see nail art on a woman in her 30s+, it makes me cringe. It looks childish, unless you work in the music or beauty industry. But for the most part, I’d pass. I saw a woman with nail art at work; we’re in a technical industry (clinical) and her nail art gives the impression of unprofessionalism. Leave it for holiday vacations! just IMO..